June 16, 2024, 04:22:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cu+ and Zn2+ coordination  (Read 2395 times)

Offline psudhakar79

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cu+ and Zn2+ coordination
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Hello All,

I'm studying Cu+ and Zn2+ coordination to a Histidine containing peptide. I'm wondering what is the major difference between the two metal ions apart from mono valent and divalent cations. Is there any particular similarity between them apart from the electronic configuration.

Does it bind to the peptide in the same fashion or differently. Can we treat the two metal ions in the same way for NMR chemical shift calculations.

Any kind of help is appreciated

Thank you
Regards
Parth

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +324/-24
Re: Cu+ and Zn2+ coordination
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
Zinc coordination brings about a surprisingly large chemical shift change on the nitrogen N-15 signal.  I don't recall what copper might do.

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
Re: Cu+ and Zn2+ coordination
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
Cu+ and Zn2+ are isoelectronic. Cu+ will not be magnetically active or Jahn-Teller active (as Cu2+ is), so the coordination geometry should be roughly the same as for the zinc coordination, and nitrogen NMR should not be significantly affected (between Cu and Zn). The only thing I would expect to see change is the equilibrium bond length between the histidine N and the metal cation, with a shorter bond length for the divalent cation, based solely on electrostatics.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it doesn't seem that there should be a huge difference. Just remember that Cu+ is very easily oxidized.
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Sponsored Links