April 19, 2024, 09:16:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Volatility  (Read 4716 times)

Offline vdemas

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Volatility
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »
Here's the question :

2-Hydroxeacetophenone is more volatile than 4-Hydroxyacetophenone.Discuss this observation in detail.

This is what I got :

I know their structures.
Can I say that  because the -OH and -COCH3 groups in 2-hydroxyphenone is closer to each other than in 4-hyroxyacetophenone it is less stable than the latter and will therefore have a greater tendency to evaporate?

Please help.
I am using the Organic Chemistry textbook by  J G Smith ( 1st edition )and there is nothing in there about volatility.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Volatility
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
It's a start, yes. However, in general the spatial orientation of groups has little to do with stability.

What is happening on a molecular level when something goes from liquid to gas?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Look up inter- and intra- molecular (hydrogen) bonding.

Offline nicolene

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Please help me because I have the same question and only got  as far as what you have on your post.

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
Volatility has to do with how well molecules tend to adhere to each other. If a liquid easily evaporates, then they intermolecular forces in the liquid must be easily able to be broken. If a liquid requires more energy input to evaporate, then the molecules in the liquid must have strong intermolecular interactions.

Intermolecular forces have to do with structures. Why would having the hydroxyl group at the opposite end of the ketone group allow for stronger intermolecular interactions than if the hydroxyl group was right next to the ketone group? Think about this spatially and which way would allow for more intermolecular hydrogen bonding. Also consider why the hydroxyl group at the 2 position might allow for intramolecular bonding.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
Try drawing how two or more 4-hydroxyacetophenone molecules would interact with each other in a liquid state.

Sponsored Links