April 18, 2024, 05:56:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: First day in quant...hate it to death  (Read 3476 times)

Offline cashboxz01

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
First day in quant...hate it to death
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
I just finished my lab check-in for quantitative analysis. I have concluded that this lab is a recipe for disaster for someone like me who has back problems and anxiety. It was 4 hours, and I hated it. I broke 2 pieces of glassware. On top of that, there is no lab stool, so we must stand for 4 hours in a confined area. By the time I got done, my back hurt like crazy.

Broke first glassware when taking down my tote tray, broke a flask because it dropped.
Broke second glassware when I was taking out the beaker out of the dry oven using a clamp, the watch glass on top slipped off, and broke.

We're given a ridiculous amount of glassware in this class, and I hate it. Why don't they use gorilla glass for chemistry instead of pocket gadgets?

What should I do in my situation. Has anyone ever been in the same situation as me when they took quant?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: First day in quant...hate it to death
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
This is similar to my general laboratory experience, and pretty similar to my first analytical laboratory experience.  Many labs these days don't have chairs at the bench.  Its possibly a safety issue, you have to be able to jump away from a potential laboratory mishap, and you can't do that if you're sitting.  Sitting in the middle of a laboratory is also risky for people who have to move around you.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »
Small accidents with glassware are common with inexperienced students. The basic reason, I think, is that it's a new environment and you are worried/anxious about breaking, spilling and generally messing up. This goes away with time - you will eventually feel at home in the lab and have far fewer accidents.

Glassware breakage happens, it's not a big deal. I think once you realise that and calm down it becomes far less frequent.

Standing up for long periods is also something that new students in the lab complain about. Again, this also eventually feels normal - like practicing any form of exercise. However, you may want to try to come to some arrangement with the TA if you have a medical issue (back problem).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:44 AM »
Don't worry. It seems very hard when you start. I've been there and felt exactly like you.

Point to realize is, you aren't the only one hating it. Hating it is normal and you'll do just fine later.

Offline Vivielle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »
Quant lab gets easier.  :) You're definitely not the only one who dislikes it at first. I HATED it the first month or so, and while it wasn't my favorite chem lab ever it gets better. And that was essentially what happened with the entire class (except for my dear and somewhat crazy friend who loved form day 1...)

Sponsored Links