April 20, 2024, 12:03:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BEST way to memorize periodic table?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline zoiberg137

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BEST way to memorize periodic table?
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
Hello all, I'm new here so I apologize in advance if this is a much over asked question...

But I am wondering what other chemistry people believe to be the best way to learn the periodic table. I don't mean the easiest way, I mean the most practical way as far as being able to make use of the info. Should I learn by group, number, or what?

My major is (currently) physics, and haven't even taken a chem course yet, but I am looking forward to it. I memorize things easily so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this info, and maybe it will even help me one day...But if I'm going to memorize it I'd rather do it in a manner that is going to be most beneficial!

Thanks for your comments :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: BEST way to memorize periodic table?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:22:46 AM »
You can find many mnemonics for groups/periods to help you remember the order of the elements (you can also construct your own).. The general structure of the table (the blocks) you will have to learn.

When I memorised it in the run up to my undergrad exams I would practice drawing out the whole periodic several times a day, doing as much as possible from memory and then looking up the blanks. Within a couple of weeks you should be able to recall the whole thing.

Also: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=51033
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links