April 28, 2024, 10:15:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aparatus and method advice required for CO production  (Read 2713 times)

Offline uziel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Aparatus and method advice required for CO production
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:01 AM »
I want to produce pure quality Carbon Monoxide and for this I have procured 85% Formic Acid and 98% Conc Sulphuric Acid. I possibly want it to be a drip mechanism where H2SO4 is lying in a glass bowl in bottom and Formic Acid is dripped from top may be one drop every second. Can you experts please tell me the design and where can I get the apparatus from like Cole-Parmer etc. My main points of query are:

(a) At what rate should Formic Acid fall in other acid.
(b) What should be the initial volume to start the reaction like 100ML of both acids?
(c) At what rate CO will be produced if above volume is used. I want it to be produced fast.
(d) At top from where Formic acid falls, what dripper should I use as its corrosive.
(e) After all 100L has fallen in 100ml of conc acid, will I have to change the bottom acid to put more formic acid, what I mean to say is that till what time I can keep putting top acid to bottom?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Aparatus and method advice required for CO production
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
You are aware of the dangers of CO, I hope?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
Like curiouscat: said, you seem to have left off your application:  how are you using and collecting the carbon monoxide?  Will you have to scrub it moisture free, for example?  And what quantity do you really need?  If you really need to make more after the reagents are exhausted, maybe you should just buy a small tank?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline uziel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
Yes, I am aware of the medical dangers and will keep it safe. I will collect it through a hose pipe in a bottle.  Thats what I am planning but i have come here for the advise of experts if I m going wrong.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »
Yes, I am aware of the medical dangers and will keep it safe. I will collect it through a hose pipe in a bottle.  Thats what I am planning but i have come here for the advise of experts if I m going wrong.

What's your application; if I may ask.

Sponsored Links