April 23, 2024, 10:45:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: safest electrolyte for electrolysis of water demonstration  (Read 3674 times)

Offline mrshiny

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
safest electrolyte for electrolysis of water demonstration
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »
hi im looking for an easily attainable, safe elctrolyte to make a solution for a simple water electrolysis experiment. ive heard that magnesium sulfate and sodium sulfate will work well, but i dont want to end up with a solution thats too acidic or basic, and im unsure of how they will react with the electricity and water. i generally want an experiment that will not require gloves or goggles.

i have heard that you can use salt, but you will end up producing chlorine gas if you partition the mixture, and you will still end up with small amounts of the gas if you do not.

i want to also demonstrate the conductivity of water when ions are present, so an electrolyte that i can continuously add would be nice. im wondering if table salt will still work for this, if the amount of chlorine gas produced will be negligible? will 5% vinegar be enough? what is the maximum molarity of salt solution i can have before it is unsafe? i the electrical source is a 6 volt battery, so it should be dc current. the temperature of the water should be between 1c and 25c. the current will pass through one, non partitioned container.

Offline manofohm

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
  • chemicals at www.manofohm.com
    • manofohm.com
Re: safest electrolyte for electrolysis of water demonstration
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »
You may want to worry less about the dangers of the electrolyte in this situation than you are. by far the most dangerous thing you will produce by this is hydrogen gas and trust me it is not that fast. Of course if you are in a closed in area this can build up over time.

The thing you mostly want to think about if you have not already is the type of electrodes that you will be using as most metals will react under current over time causing a change in the concentration of electrolyte carbon is usually the cheapest option.

To answer your question specifically I would think that sodium phosphate would work fine (TSP paint supply). Think about it as long as there is nothing else for the sodium hydroxide or phosphoric acid to react with the process will just recycle the electrolyzed salt.

Good luck with your experiment I hope this helped.

Sponsored Links