March 29, 2024, 09:33:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In need of proper instructions dissolving various Plant growth Hormones.  (Read 7867 times)

Offline zeoent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey fellas,

Ive been recently experimenting with plant hormones and been having some trouble mixing them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triacontanol

With Triacontanol i have to heat up some water (distilled) about 50ml with a few drops of polysorbate 20 and stir solution until it becomes clear. Add to water to make solution. Sometimes when it cools it crystallizes on me or flakes out.

The same goes with Indole-3-acetic_acid and giberellic acid. I measure the amount i need and place it in a small glass container with denatured alcohol let it disolve but as soon as i mix it with water it breaks out of solution (crystallizes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole-3-acetic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellic_acid

and the last hormone that is punking me is 6-Benzylaminopurine. I dissolve it by adding a few drops of NAOH and letting it dissolve. I then place the disolved solution in water and it will sometimes break out of solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6-Benzylaminopurine

As you can see i am wasting product when it breaks out. Solutions dont allways drop out of solution but i would like to find an easier approach on mixing these hormones

Will DMSO help me dissolve these hormones better then what im using? any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.

also what chemicals would you guys recommend to extend the shelf life of my final product?

I had in mind Sodium Benzoate or Potassium Benzoate.

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: In need of proper instructions dissolving various Plant growth Hormones.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »
You'll want a better reference than Wikipedia for these compounds.  You could try the MSDS (one came with each of these chemicals when they were ordered, or at least , should be searchable online) or, better, you can look up the procedure for using these reagents in a research paper published in a peer-reviewed journal.  Generally, the minute amounts of plant hormones needed to affect the growth of a seedling in an experiment dissolve well in a small amount of solvent and then stays in solution when diluted in a large amount of some sort of plant compatible buffer solution, but I can't speak for every hormone in every situation.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline zeoent

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
hey Arkcon thanx for the response.

what do you think about using DMSO to dissolve these hormones would that be a better route?

Im sort of frustrated with spoiled solutions, i just want the mix these right.

also can you lead me towards the right direction on finding peer-reviewed journal entries?

will google scholar work?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
I don't much care for Google scholar, its hard for me to use, and slow.  But my internet pipe is very slow, other people may have better luck.  When I want a peer reviewed journal, I just use a Google search for the title, then I go to my local university library and download those journals they have available.  I don't know if DMSO is the best reagent to use, I know humans use it medicinally, I don't know if it can hurt plant tissue or not.  Where did you first get the idea to experiment with plant growth hormones, and what changes in the plants are you hoping to induce?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
You may find PubChem to be a good resource for looking up the literature on the compounds you list.  Here's the page on IAA:

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=802

Offline zeoent

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23:28 AM »
I don't much care for Google scholar, its hard for me to use, and slow.  But my internet pipe is very slow, other people may have better luck.  When I want a peer reviewed journal, I just use a Google search for the title, then I go to my local university library and download those journals they have available.  I don't know if DMSO is the best reagent to use, I know humans use it medicinally, I don't know if it can hurt plant tissue or not.  Where did you first get the idea to experiment with plant growth hormones, and what changes in the plants are you hoping to induce?

Got the idea to experiment after reading up on all the effects PGR have on plants. its basically curiosity at work. Sometimes i end up with weird looking mutants and sometimes i get plants that stretch/grow about an 1inch a day) all depending on type of hormone/concentration and plant species.

Sponsored Links