April 27, 2024, 03:00:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy change calculations  (Read 2571 times)

Offline confusedstud

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Enthalpy change calculations
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
When we calculate enthalpy change, we use ΔH=-(total bond energies of reactants)+(total bond energy of products)

Is the total bond energy of the reactants the same as the total energy the reactant has? There is another formula ΔH=energy of product-energy of reactant? I know they give the same magnitude eventually. But I'm not sure if they mean the same thing because my textbook says that the first one is about breaking the bonds and forming the bonds. So I'm not too sure about it.

Thanks! :)

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
Re: Enthalpy change calculations
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
When you are given enthalpies of formation (ΔHf) you can use the formula ΔHrxn = Σ(ΔHf products) - Σ(ΔHf reactants).

When you are given bond energies the formula is ΔHrxn = Σ(ΔHbonds in reactants) - Σ(ΔHbonds in products).

The reactant can also have kinetic energy among other things, but thermodynamically I think that the only energies you need to consider are the bond energies.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline confusedstud

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:24 AM »
Oh so are they the same thing? Besides numerically? Thanks :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »
I'll just note: Pay careful attention to your reference states if using something like heats of formation.

Absolute energies are rarely useful; differences matter.

Offline Zeppos10

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »
Oh so are they the same thing? Besides numerically? Thanks :)
No they are not the same thing: if the volume changes due to the reaction some work is done by the surrounding atmosphere. However the contribution of this work (+ or -) is a few kilojoule per mole reactant, while the change in bond energies is much higher in most cases.

Sponsored Links