April 19, 2024, 02:48:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: molar mass  (Read 7112 times)

Tom

molar mass
« on: June 11, 2004, 11:59:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me which one of these is the molar mass of Na2CO3? The 2 and the 3 are suppose to be subscripted, having trouble trying to accomplish this using the UBBC.

a.   106 g/mol
   b.   50.0 g/mol
   c.   41.0 g/mol
   d.   76.5 g/mol

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:molar mass
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 03:36:39 PM »
Tom, we don't mind helping you out with some chemistry homework/problems every now and then, but it seems as if you are asking us to answer all the homework questions you are receiving.  We can help get you on your way to solving the questions yourself, but if we answer everything for you you'll never learn the important concepts needed to master chemistry.  Questions such as the one you are asking in this thread are very simple questions that can you can answer for yourself by doing just a teency bit of research.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:18:14 PM »
I understand what you mean and I do appreciate all of your help. What I generally do is compare my results with what your results/opinions are as and the data listed in my text book and other sources.

As for this question I came up with 106 g/mol or to be specific 105.98 g/mol

How:
By using this formula and calculation;
                          (2)(22.989) + (12.0112) + 3(15.9994) = 105.98 g/mol

Na (amu) = 22.989
C   (amu) = 12.0112
O  (amu) = 15.9994

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 04:27:49 PM »
That would be correct.   ;D  If you include the answers you came up with in your original questions, then I think we'd be able to help you out a lot more and we wouldn't feel as if we were just "giving" you the answers.  By showing us the answer you came up with and how you came up with it, we can also help you along the proper path.  (Or in this case, tell you that you are 100% right and you used the proper method of coming up with the answer).   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 08:53:15 PM »
It's written in the "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" thread in this forum. Guideline 3.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links