April 25, 2024, 05:27:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Octet Rule Problem?  (Read 8664 times)

Offline Jov4nTh3Yu9o

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Octet Rule Problem?
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »
I'm having trouble with a problem asking me whether a compound satisfies the octet rule or either too many valence electrons, too few, or an odd number of valence electrons.

The compounds are:      Valence Electrons                            I answered:

AsF5                                  50                                                Too Many

BeH2                                  4                                                  Too Few

SeO22-                             16                                                  Blank (didn't know what to put)

PCl3                                   26                                                  Too Few

PS3                                     23                                                Odd Number

CCl3                                    36                                                 Too Many

I input these answers and I am incorrect, I am on my 20th try now. I'm not sure how to answer this.
I know the valence electrons but I'm not too confident on how to arrange the lewis structure bond.
Does anyone know what I'm doing incorrectly?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Octet Rule Problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
With the exception of BeH2, your counting of valence electrons is way off. It would help if you can explain how you are counting them. Remember, only the outer shell is involved in bonding.

I will give you an example, SF6.

Sulfur has 6 valence electrons.
Fluorine has 7.
There are 6 bonds at the S centre. If you draw a Lewis dot and cross diagram (see below, try it), you will see that each of these 6 electrons shares with a F atom, and each F atom shares on of its electrons with S, to form a covalent bond. In SF6, each F atom had 7 electrons and shares one more from S to give a total of 8 - so the F atoms satisfy the octet rule. However, S had 6 electrons and shares one more from each of the 6 F atoms to give a total of 12 - the S atom does not satisfy the octet rule.

Have a go yourself with the compounds in the list you posted.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Jov4nTh3Yu9o

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
I'm counting using the p,d, and s blocks.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
I'm counting using the p,d, and s blocks.

This is incorrect. See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valence_electron

Try drawing Lewis diagrams and attempt the question again.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
One thing you are off on is that you check whether individual atoms in a molecule satisfy the octet rule - not whether the molecule satisfies it.

For example, CCl3. What you need to see is how many electrons does carbon have, not the entire CCl3 molecule.

Offline Jov4nTh3Yu9o

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I've tried again.

AsF5 I know this is too many.
BeH2 Is electron deficient, but I put satisfies.
SeO22- Still not sure, but I think too few.
PCl3 I know satisfies.
PS3 I know has Odd valence.
CCl3 I know has too few.

The website still tells me that I am incorrect. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »
Do dot and cross diagrams and count the electrons. Post your new electron counts and we will see why you are going wrong.

If you don't show your working I can't see where the problem is.

Sponsored Links