April 19, 2024, 09:10:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pump design flow chart  (Read 5835 times)

Offline nar1707

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Pump design flow chart
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »
Hi,
    Can anybody guide me through a step wise procedure for designing a pump?

Specs:

Maximum flow rate required : 30 l/hr
Fluid:     Araldite (EPoxy resin)
Viscosity: 1300-1800 cP
Specific gravity: 1-1.8

Regards

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Pump design flow chart
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
Some general questions to orient the design...

Do you need a continuous flow? Some sort of cartridge and piston, where you add a motor, would be easier. Preferably, if the tight part exists already.

How long should the pump work: 15min at a customer's home, or 10 years at a plant? Because, to design a reliable and convenient pump, it should better not be one's first attempt... Just like architects begin with houses for customers before designing their own.

What sort of pressure? If you put a mixer downstream the pump - since araldite is often finely mixed before use - it means a serious pressure.

Do you want vacuum before injecting the first Araldite, to avoid air bubbles?

A few design considerations...

Cleaning and access are more important with a glue than other considerations, even more so if you pump Araldite that's already mixed. The individual parts should have no deep nor concave shapes, should resist brutal solvents and chemicals and well as energic brushes. If the glue is already mixed, build-in some handles where the user can have a hammer or lever or wedge to separate the parts. Design for easy part replacement.

Don't design the seals yourself, this is a full job. Ask the supplier for help at the design, show him the Araldite. Follow the mouting procedures and the materials and surface treatments he recommends for the running parts.

How to separate the glue from the grease at the shaft?

Be paranoid with alloy seizure. Don't believe anything about pairing of different material, its' all cr*p. Hardness doesn't help. All stainless steel (including martensitic), all titanium alloys, all chromium layers are horrible for that - but you need them, so use copper alloys or nickel layers as the other running surface.

If you need continuous operation, you might consider an Archimedes' screw as it's used for thermoplastic injection, or maybe a gear pump.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_pump

Can you buy or copy a good existing pump?

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
Also be aware of the other requirements around the plant or area the pump will be installed. Based on what class/divison and explosion hazards may be present, you might have to look at either shielded or air-driven pumps. I know nothing about araldite, but I know from experience that the pump environment and safety requirements can easily get overlooked when looking to design and size a pump

Offline baem84

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
Hi,
    Can anybody guide me through a step wise procedure for designing a pump?

Specs:

Maximum flow rate required : 30 l/hr
Fluid:     Araldite (EPoxy resin)
Viscosity: 1300-1800 cP
Specific gravity: 1-1.8

Regards

you need to consider fluid physical properties (i.e. temperature & precipitation). Don't use too small pipe size & fine filter. You might headache with pluggage.

Sponsored Links