April 28, 2024, 10:19:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H2S Reaction with buffered eyewash  (Read 2576 times)

Offline lilbull

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
H2S Reaction with buffered eyewash
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
  I am looking for data on the possible reaction between H2S in gas form or in a liquid solution, and buffered eyewash agents. Any help with this may help prevent accidental blinding.

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: H2S Reaction with buffered eyewash
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
I'd heard that the buffered eyewash agents had fallen into disfavor, as they are hard to keep clean and fresh until they're needed.  And when they're needed, they're really needed.  Generally, the whole purpose of the buffer is to treat your eyes gently and neutralize anything they come in contact with, while at the same time, flushing a contaminant away.  You see?  Any possible reaction should be happening for an instant in your eyes, and then be flushed away, to happen for a few more instances in the sink, then down the drain.  I don't know the composition of every buffered eyewash, you will have to call the respective manufacturer and ask them specifically.  As for gaseous H2S, in the lab, wafting out of the hood to react with a plastic sealed bottle of buffered eyewash and causing future blinding, well, there's a few layers of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot there, but you should probably not worry about that.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links