April 28, 2024, 07:30:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Qualitative analysis chart  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Kstre

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Qualitative analysis chart
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
Hi, I am helping my sister to make a chart for qualitative analysis. As it passed a while since I have learned it, I need someone to check what we did. It's about cations (attached). Is it correct?

Offline Kstre

Re: Qualitative analysis chart
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »
We are running out of time. Could someone please look at this (I and V groups are not important)?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »
It is slightly different from the scheme I know and can check in the books I have here. Hg2+ and Cu2+ are in the group IIA while Sn2+ is in IIB. Group III is not split into two subgroups.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kstre

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
-I added the ones from IIa and IIb in the same group because I think that they can be deposited with the same reagents (I am not sure, so I asked for help).
-The opposite is for the III group, I separated those cations based on the reagent they could be deposited with.
-I suppose that the IV group can be excluded from further discussion, because it is an easy one. I need only II and III now, if you can say if there could be possible masking of a cation from one group by a cation from another group or judge everything as good. The differences inside the groups don't matter at the moment.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »
I added the ones from IIa and IIb in the same group because I think that they can be deposited with the same reagents

Yes, they are precipitated together. IIB can be then dissolved in KOH in the presence of H2O2.

The opposite is for the III group, I separated those cations based on the reagent they could be deposited with.

Procedure from my book calls for addition of solid NH4Cl, then ammonia till the solution gets basic (against universal pH strip) , then thioacetamide and on heating all cations from the group III should precipitate together.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kstre

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
Thanks again for helping. So there exhibits a method to distinguish Sn2+ from the others immediately, then the II group is clear, too. Only III left.
If just NH4and then ammonia are added, the IIIb won't precipitate, while the IIIa will, right?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
If just NH4and then ammonia are added, the IIIb won't precipitate, while the IIIa will, right?

As I wrote - the book I have here doesn't discuss this approach, and I don't feel confident enough to predict details, too many factors.

Offline Kstre

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »
I guess then, as I thought from the beginning, that there is no other way than to find a lab and try it. Anyway thanks for your effort, we appreciate it.

Sponsored Links