April 20, 2024, 02:02:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Functional groups present in Lidocaine and Mepivacaine ?  (Read 6759 times)

Offline hasbeen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Functional groups present in Lidocaine and Mepivacaine ?
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
A worksheet I am working on has the structures for both lidocaine and mepivacaine.  One of the questions is to state the functional groups present in each.  These compounds are pretty similar and both have an aromatic ring and an amide.  However,  ???I am not sure if there are any more that I am missing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Functional groups present in Lidocaine and Mepivacaine ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
OK, what other groups do you see?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »
Anything besides carbon-hydrogen and carbon-carbon single bonds counts as a functional group. Look especially for atoms that are not carbon or hydrogen. Do you have any that are not part of either of the two functional groups you've listed?

Offline hasbeen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
I think there is possibly a.dimethyl amine on lidocaine. Can't figure, any more out. I feel like lidocaine has those 3 and mepivacaine only has two.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
You got the amine part right on the lidocaine, but not the "dimethyl" part. (For an amine, in general, you are usually looking for the descriptors primary, secondary, or tertiary, although it certainly doesn't hurt to be more specific). What alkyl groups are actually attached to the nitrogen?

Do you have any heteroatoms unaccounted for on the mepivacaine besides the oxygen and nitrogen in the amide? Or any multiple bonds besides the ones in the aromatic ring?

Sponsored Links