April 28, 2024, 09:41:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does storing razor (as in, Gillett) blades in alcohol really make them last?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline aq1234

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I've read in several places that storing your razor blades in rubbing alcohol will make them last longer. Supposedly, the alcohol will prevent oxidation by removing water from the blades.

Is this theory sound? Would alcohol produce that effect even though there is water in it?

Thank you for any input.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
There are a number of such tips in Paulings' Chemistry -- storing double sided razor blades either in alcohol or a mildly alkaline solution.  The idea is to avoid moisture and acid, which corrode the steel used, and dull the blades prematurely.  I can't be sure, but I think the modern disposable razors may very well be made of very different steel alloys than in Pauling's time.  The so called "Platinum" types of disposable razors really do have a platinum coating a few atoms thick.  They dull from use, not moist atmosphere corrosion.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aq1234

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thanks for that confirmation.

These are modern razor blade cartridges, but I don't think they are the titanium type. That being said, when I look at a bottle of alcohol, it says 70% alcohol with water as the "inactive ingredient." That's probably the other 30%. I wonder if it is good, then, to store the blades in the solution containing water? Maybe a dip is better since I've noticed rubbing alcohol to evaporate quickly?

Sponsored Links