April 19, 2024, 08:56:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lithium, standard electrode potential and hydration energy  (Read 3653 times)

Offline SapereAude1490

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Lithium, standard electrode potential and hydration energy
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
Just the other day I was looking at the s-elements and found out that Li is the strongest reducing agent (- 3.05V). This is a little strange as with other elements (Na, K, Rb, Cs) the standard electrode potential decreases from - 2,71V to - 2,92V as you go down in the group.

Add to this the ionization energy of -5,39eV for Li and a steady decrease as you go down in the group and it's a bit of a mystery.

Now, there is an explanation in my textbook, and it goes like this: If we look at redox-potential as

M(s)  :rarrow: M+(aq) + e-

by using Hess's law we can divide this process into three separate subprocesses:

(1) M(s)  :rarrow: M(g)

(2) M(g)  :rarrow: M+(g) + e-

(3) M+(g) + aq  :rarrow: M+(aq)

(1) is just separation of atoms. Sublimation energy is about the same for all s-elements
(2) is ionization energy. You need to spend about 5,39 eV for Li to make it an ion.
(3) The Li+ is put in water and hydrated. Energy is released ΔhydH

This ΔhydH is more than enough to compensate for the (relatively) high 5,39 eV ionization energy, because, if I remember correctly from general chemistry, the smaller the ion the larger the ΔhydH.

My question is this: Why? What happens on the molecular scale? I "get" all of thermodynamics here, but when I tried to find where does this energy come from, I can't find anything. I looked in Atkins' Physical Chemistry and inorganic and general chemistry textbooks. Nothing.

Any useful response will be rewarded by a mole snack. (or even two  ;D)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Lithium, standard electrode potential and hydration energy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
Think size and the distance between the cation and water dipoles. Coulomb forces are everything you need to explain the situation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SapereAude1490

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
OK.

Lithium atomic radius is 0,133 nm and ionic 0,068 nm. It's a very small ion. So... if the r is small so is the surface. However it has the same charge as Na+, K+, Rb+ and Cs+ so it has a big charge density(q/s), right?

It should then attract the polar H2O strongly, because they can come closer. How many can actually fit around it? Less than Na+ and other bigger ions?

Also, do (1), (2) and (3) happen simultaneously? Do the H2O molecules "kick"  the Li out from that chunk of metal?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
You can have more than one layer of water molecules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SapereAude1490

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
That changes everything!!!  :o

But seriously, I did not know that. Thank you.

That sounds a lot like analytical chemistry with primary layers and secondary layers.

What about (1), (2) and (3)? Do they happen at the same time?

Sponsored Links