April 18, 2024, 01:07:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what disease is caused by a lack of a second number 5 chromosome?  (Read 6256 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
People here are a collaboration of  knowledge.
Would anybody happen to know what disease is caused by a lack of a second number 5 chromosome?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:18:53 PM by Mitch »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:DNA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:46:32 PM »
Generally aneuploidy (wrong number of chromosomes) in any of the larger chromosomes is embryonic lethal - that is embryos with lacking a copy or with an extra copy of one of the chromosomes are generally aborted spontaneously, resulting in a miscarriage.  Aneuploidy will generally only result in a viable fetus if it is in one of the smaller chromosomes (e.g. trisomy 21 - Down Syndrome).  Viable monosomies are even more rare, although some exist (e.g. XO - Turner's syndrome).  To the best of my knowledge, monosomy 5 would be embryonic lethal.  However, there is a condition called cri du chat syndrome in which the affected individual is lacking a portion of one of his/her copies of chromosome 5.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:47:26 PM by Yggdrasil »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:what disease is caused by a lack of a second number 5 chromosome?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 06:33:37 PM »
Ok thank you. I was having trouble finding a disease caused by the lack of a second number 5 chromosome which is what showed up in my given karyotype. My teacher told me to look for other disease related to deletions of parts of chromosome 5.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links