March 29, 2024, 10:29:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Search for Reaction  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Messi

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Search for Reaction
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:01 PM »
Hi guys,

Just wondering how you academics search for reactions? Do you use Sci-Finder? I tried using their "Explore Reactions" tool, but it doesn't seem too useful..

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Search for Reaction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »
Try Beilstein which is now Reaxys.

Also try general searches on ISI Web of Science.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
It might have to do with how you are visualizing your search. I've been fairly happy with SciFinder. What problems did you encounter?

Offline easyorganic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »
We used Beilstein when I was in industry.  I now use Scifinder.

Offline Messi

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
It might have to do with how you are visualizing your search. I've been fairly happy with SciFinder. What problems did you encounter?

I am simply not finding what I am looking for. I am simply looking for a 1-alkyne reacting with a primary amine and sulfur. Any amine, and any 1-alkyne! I can't seem to find anything relevant.. How can I search for just a 1-alkyne and not a specific alkyne. Or how can I search for a primary amine, not a specific primary amine.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
As far as I remember from SciFinder you can do substructure searches and define substructures within a reaction. In their drawing window there is a button which lets you define R groups up to 3 different categories per R group. You can also place Q atoms and A atoms within the structure you are looking for.
Substructure searching is quite difficult and you need a fair amount of practice as you are liable to get a lot of unwanted hits out if you make your definitions too broad.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
The easiest way I've found to search for 1-alkynes or primary amines, or anything along those lines, is to specify hydrogens. If you draw a bond to hydrogen from the end of your triple bond, or bonds to two hydrogens from your nitrogen, it will look specifically for those limited structures.

I believe there is also a way to pick specific atoms as reactive centers, meaning they need to change during the reaction, but I've usually found it easier to do a second search with the unchanged structure on the product side, and subtract those results from the first list.

Offline Messi

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »
Awesome suggestions. I'll give it a try when I am on campus!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:23 AM »
I find Reaxys much more intuitive and user friendly, I use it on a daily basis.

Scifinder is a more extensive database, but takes a bit more learning to get the hang of. I only use it if I need a very thorough literature search.

If your uni has Scifinder it probably has Reaxys - I think Reaxys is substantially cheaper.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »
I second reaccs. We had it in industry and I really liked it. SciFinder is less discriminatory and therefore more difficult to find a gem. I often browsed through large hit lists to find the novel reaction.

I was using SciFinder to exploit other advantages than reaction or reaction conditions.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links