April 29, 2024, 01:51:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate concentration using chromatograph peak area  (Read 5537 times)

Offline manypostcards

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to calculate concentration using chromatograph peak area
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently writing up an HPLC lab report. One objective is to find the concentration of caffeine in Mountain Dew. The professor ran the sample himself (while we weren't there) and e-mailed us the results which contained peak area values for caffeine, potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate in Mountain Dew. We prepared the samples ourselves, so I have the by-weight values in grams of the Mountain Dew and mobile phase in my sample. Is this enough information to determine the conc. of caffeine in my soft drink sample?

After doing a search on this forum and the internet I couldn't figure it out although I'm starting to get the gist. However it seems that in any calculation I need a known concentration, namely for both a calibration curve or response factor calculation.

I'll note that I also have the peak area data of other students' samples of various caffeine-containing beverages.

Much thanks,
mp

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to calculate concentration using chromatograph peak area
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
Yes, you will have to have an area for a standard:   that's a sample of pure caffeine of known concentration.  Can you look at all the data you've been given to begin to work that out?  Maybe build a table, in Excel.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline manypostcards

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to calculate concentration using chromatograph peak area
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have such data. I e-mailed my TA; hopefully she can shed light on the situation.

Sponsored Links