April 19, 2024, 04:58:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: urgent:aspects of storing acetone(vapors, corrosion,HDPE/glass...)  (Read 9502 times)

Offline journalist

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
hello everybody  ;)

I am writing as I need urgently to store acetone into a container but I have the following doubts:

1-Acetone is almost always sold into HDPE(number 2) plastic bottles(this should be a proof for safety), but in some forums I have read HDPE plastic is not suited for acetone, as this latter will corrode it. Of course glass is better, but how good is hard rigid white plastic known as HDPE?

Regarding flammability: Is safe enough, once the liquid is stored, a simple stopper or the bottle as to be absolutely 100% airtight hermetic closed if the container is going to be keprt into a fresh site?

I am asking this as I have heard that vapors can cause, alone, with a single near spark, a fire. If the answers to these questions are yes, then I ask: if buying a kitchen glass container/bottle for food with a pressure metal cap/top: is safe if SEALING borders WITH SILICONE?

Thanks for your valuable answers ;)

Offline journalist

Do acetone vapors affect silicone sealing?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
Hello

I am thinking of storing acetone into  a glass container with a top metal pressure cap(used in kitchen for storing food), and sealing borders with silicone: Will silicone vapors be safely sealed, or will acetone vapors affect silicone and will cause corrosion?

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: urgent:aspects of storing acetone(vapors, corrosion,HDPE/glass...)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
Briefly, the best way to store the solvent is in the bottle it came in.  If you're consolidating some bottles, for storage, then you can use bottles left over from partially consumed solvent, or maybe ... similar bottles, stored as appropriate on the label.  Your application is a little hard to follow: why do you have so much solvent, and not enough bottles that the solvent came in?

[EDIT]

And I hope you don't mind my merging your two similar topics from dissimilar forums into one post, it makes it easier for people to understand what you application is.  I've never seen a household vessel such as you describe, and I don't see how useful the vessel is if you silicone seal it.  Still hard to understand your application.  However, DIY home storage of bulk solvents is a pretty weird topic.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline journalist

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
thanks for your answer, and me, answering to your question:I didnĀ“t buy any acetone.a friend, painter, gave me around 1,5 litre for me removing some painting. The bottle he used  to pour acetone is P.E plastic, which seems not to last too much storing acetone. I have finished removing painting and around 800ml acetone has not been used so I want to store it into a 100% safe bottle. So, my questions are:

1.If I use a glass bottle, with cap, and seal the borders with silicone: Will acetone vapors affect to silicone, or vapors alone are not enough for that?

2. Is HDPE safe?
Thanks

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »
Hope you won't store it in a hot shed. Acetone heated up might build some considerable pressure. Not sure how strong your bottle is.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
I don't see why acetone wouldn't be compatible with HDPE. Gasoline tanks are probably made of HDPE. I have some acetone in a HDPE lab dispenser bottle for a few months. I also have methyl ethyl ketone in a HDPE bottle for 1 year. A lot of things can be stored in HDPE.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
you mean a food canning jar?  yeah, that will work.

HDPE is also fine.

A trace of vapour escaping and getting sparked will not cause a fire if the area is well ventilated. Only if it built up in an enclosed area.  store in the garage and you are fine.

Sponsored Links