March 29, 2024, 02:53:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bill Nye the Science Guy  (Read 14658 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Bill Nye the Science Guy
« on: December 27, 2005, 07:39:36 PM »
Has anybody here watched Bill Nye the Science Guy?

When I was younger I loved his show. He's doing this new series on the science channel (daughter company of the Discovery Channel) called 100 Greatest Discoveries. Some episodes are pretty intresting.

I hear Mr. Wizard (I think that was the show's name) used to be good way back in the day.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 07:40:15 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re:Bill Nye the Science Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
yeah, I used to watch that show.  Quite possibly the major source of my interest for science.  I don't like it so much anymore, though.  We sometimes watch the shows when we have free time in science class.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:34:35 AM »
He's okay, but nothing will EVER beat Mr. Wizard!  Mr. Wizard did awesome stuff like pulling apart fireworks and showing kids how to do it!  It was his show that got me interested in chemistry.  As a diabetic, I've always been interested in science because as a kid I wanted to know why my body was screwed up and nobody else's was.  So I got a keen interest in biology.  When I saw the Mr. Wizard episode where he pulled apart the fireworks, however, I began to love chemistry and have loved it ever since.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 03:14:55 PM »
Bill Nye's show was pretty good, but it was definitely directed at a younger audience (ie repeating everything 3 times and the goofy antics).  PBS had some good chemistry shows that were hosted by Roald Hoffman (Columbia) and Donald Showalter (Wisconsin).  Other than "The Three Stooges", I think "Mythbusters (Discovery channel, 9pm W)" is probably the only other show that I watch regularly.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:55:16 PM »
Mythbusters is a cool show. I watch a lot of random shows.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

americanstrat4

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »
Bill Nye was an inspirational guy.  He sparked, if you'll forgive my use of works, my interest in science.  It was something you could relate to if you watched it when you were young.  It was a good time to watch it with my father, who majored in chem at Dartmouth. :)

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »
Bill Nye was a genious in a general beginners chemistry sort of way. He not only tought ideas of science and chemistry, but also provided and demonstrated the real-world aspect of them in a fun way that made science seem fun to the younger, more influential audience.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:40 PM »
Has anybody here watched Bill Nye the Science Guy?

When I was younger I loved his show. He's doing this new series on the science channel (daughter company of the Discovery Channel) called 100 Greatest Discoveries. Some episodes are pretty intresting.

I hear Mr. Wizard (I think that was the show's name) used to be good way back in the day.

yeah, i watched it when i was 4 or 5. that beakman (i think that's what his name was) was way cooler. he had the crazy hair and it was on pbs or something.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 11:22:46 PM »
"Square One" was a show on PBS that gave me a good ground in mathematics.  Mathman, Dirk Nibler (sp?) and beginner math plugged into every situation imaginable.  And who can forget MathNet, which was a rip-off of Dragnet and they used math to fight crime.  I swear I'm the only guy I've even met who knew what the Fibonacci sequence was by...whatever I was back then...like 4 or 5.

Bill Nye was cool too...I remember being a HUGE fan of him back in Grade 4.  Go to the schoolyard and talk about Bill Nye and the stuff he did.

Oh man.

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »
dude Bill Nye is mainly the reason that i love all the sciences that i do now, he explained things in ways that my teachers could never attempt!
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
that beakman (i think that's what his name was) was way cooler. he had the crazy hair and it was on pbs or something.

Yeah, I really liked Beakman's World to when I was younger.  I really liked Mr. Wizard when I was real young (like five or six).  Those shows inspired me to do my own experiments too as a kid.  I also liked the Magic School bus  ;) ;D

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »
apparently our science teachers like magic school bus as well. i think we watched like 3 or 4 pointless episodes this year :P
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:39:33 PM »
I used to watch it before school all the time when I was younger. Back in the days when school actually was really exciting to go to.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »
apparently our science teachers like magic school bus as well. i think we watched like 3 or 4 pointless episodes this year

My 8th grade science teacher loved the magic school bus too.  I learned about the Immune system, microrganisms, the digestive system, and the solar system through that show.  We thought it was so corny to have to watch that show as we were 13 or 14 year olds.  I think my teacher did not like when I asked how can Ms. Frizzle's class travel the solar system in "one class period" when it takes two years just to get to Mars  ;)

Offline Baseball_Fan

• Mole Snacks: +7/-30
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »
Billl Nye had a new series called Eyes of Nye. But I stopped watching it because it wasn't science but propoganda. There was more science on Mr Rodgers Neighborhood where he mixed baking soda with viniger than what Nye does. Nye is too busy trying to prove a point. If he just would show the science, and stop the editorials, it would be a better show.

Sponsored Links