April 28, 2024, 10:35:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: determine the molar enthalpy and the order of reaction  (Read 5310 times)

molars101

determine the molar enthalpy and the order of reaction
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:10:19 PM »
Hi my teacher assinged the following assingment:

"Determine the most possibly accurate procude to determine the molar enthalpy and the order of reaction"

To calculate the molar enthalpy i would simply put both of chemicals into a calorimeter and measure the temp change and do my H = Mct / n

To calculate the order of reactions i would possibly use some sort of indicator and time the amount of time for it to completly be used up??

Is there a more accurate way of calculating these experimentaly?

Any help to make this as accurate as possible is much appreciated.

-R
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 09:39:22 PM by Mitch »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Molar enthalpy, Order of reactions assignment
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »
what do you mean by molar enthalpy? the caloriometer can only measure the change in enthalpy for a chemical reaction. The caloriometer will give you the change in enthalpy per mole of limiting reagent.

What chemical reaction are you trying to measure? Does it occur in a aqueous medium or a gaseous medium? is there any color changes?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Molar enthalpy, Order of reactions assignment
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »
what do you mean by molar enthalpy? the caloriometer can only measure the change in enthalpy for a chemical reaction. The caloriometer will give you the change in enthalpy per mole of limiting reagent.

What chemical reaction are you trying to measure? Does it occur in a aqueous medium or a gaseous medium? is there any color changes?

He most likely means molar enthalpy in terms of x-moles of this compound results in this amount of heat given off.  So as long as he has an accurate measurement of his reactants, he can easily determine the molar enthalpy of his product.  (I.E. if he mixes NaOH and HCl solutions he'll record the heat given off and then calculate how many moles of NaCl he produced.  The resulting answer will be the molar enthalpy of formation of aqueous NaCl).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links