April 25, 2024, 05:44:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR of Reaction makes NO sense..  (Read 12199 times)

Offline Messi

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Re: NMR of Reaction makes NO sense..
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
For the spectrum below, I find it weird that I get a couple of signals in the 5-6 region! No idea what those would be... If my thioamide did enolize, my hydrozen adajcent to carbon-sulfide group should only be at ~4.85ppm!

Offline Messi

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
How do I know this? Well I did work with thioketones years ago, and saw the effects in that they like to exist as the thio enol form. I know you have an amide on the other side, but I think the thio ketone is maybe more relevant in the structure. Just my opinion, I may be wrong.
Perhaps someone else will comment on this.

I find it interesting that they are likely to exist in the thio enol form. I mentioned this to my supervisor and he disagreed with me! He said that my thio amide should rarely exist in a thio enol form.

Is this true? Why do thioketones tend to exist in the thio enol form? What is the reasoning?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »
I'm not sure. It may be because the d orbitals of S are low enough so the there is some overlap with the pi electrons of the enol C=C resulting in more stability.
Now this may be rubbish, if someone else can explain please do so.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
I don't see anything that convinces me that I am looking at a pure product, let alone anything resembling the purported product. Tell us what was done and what steps were used to isolated and purify the relation mixture.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Messi

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
I don't see anything that convinces me that I am looking at a pure product, let alone anything resembling the purported product. Tell us what was done and what steps were used to isolated and purify the relation mixture.

Hey orgo, I am in the midst of taking a C13 NMR, I'll let you know how it goes. I think I have the correct product. I'll post the NMR once I get it!

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Additional mass spec data as I suggested would be more convincing!

Offline Messi

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
So, I got a 13C NMR of two of my products. The other product is currently being analyzed by the NMR machine.

Interestingly enough, my first spectra below was left overnight... but produced a worst spectra then the second one... My second one was only left in the NMR machine for about 2 hours...

Find my spectras below... looks like my desired product was formed!?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:09:43 PM by Messi »

Sponsored Links