April 29, 2024, 12:03:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkene + H2O2 --> ??  (Read 7648 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Alkene + H2O2 --> ??
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

I don't know why the editors let this through. Maybe we should look at the supp. mat.?

I didn't find any.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Alkene + H2O2 --> ??
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »
Just a recap, why would anyone use a peracid to make an epoxide if you could just use hydrogen peroxide? To my knowledge, that reaction doesn't work. You can use hydrogen peroxide and a carboxylic acid to make a peracid or just start with a peracid to make an epoxide. There is also a Payne epoxidation in which hydrogen peroxide is used with a nitrile to make an iminoperacid. So, my comment was, the JACS paper did not look like a new and novel way to make an epoxide. Furthermore, since JACS is noted to be very particular about the merit of their papers, I just thought at first blush, how did this make it into JACS? I didn't bother to read the paper, I should wondered how one could make an epoxide with hydrogen peroxide.

By the way, why this paper got published in JACS does nothing to answering the posters question.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links