April 27, 2024, 04:41:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Table of Solubilities  (Read 4140 times)

Earl of Broccoli

Table of Solubilities
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:20:03 AM »
First, let me say I am the worst chemistry student imaginable and have no clue what I'm talking about.  I probably never use any technical terms correctly, and if I can avoid using them, I will.

I'm doing a lab using the table of solubilities that looks like this.

In the lab , we combined different compounds, or whatever you call them (i.e. Sodium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate) in a well, and saw whether or not there was a percipitate.

Then I got out this table of solubilities, and wrote down the corresponding "i" or "ss" etcetera for each combination.

Which initials (i, ss, s, d, n) together mean there is a balanced equation in the formula of the compounds?  If there is a percipitate, does that mean the equation is unbalanced?

Earl of Broccoli

Re:Table of Solubilities
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:46:50 PM »
Anyone?  :-[

kclive

Re:Table of Solubilities
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:00:01 PM »
It doesnt matter what initials are together; equations will always balance if you balance out the coefficients yourself when you write the equations.

The insoluble compound that results from the reaction will be marked as "i", and the soluble compond that results from the reaction will be marked as "s". If any compond is marked as "d", that means it ionizes in solution (meaning it "breaks apart"; for example, when you mix NaCl in H2O, NaCl splits into Na+ and Cl- ions that are floating around in the H2O solution), so write those kind of resulting componds as separate ions with the charges listed like i just did.

Does this solve your problem?

Sponsored Links