April 20, 2024, 07:40:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pitzer Equation  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Pitzer Equation
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Could someone explain the parameters of the Pitzer equation to me?

So far, I have a version of the equation (found here: http://www.cord.edu/faculty/ulnessd/legacy/fall06/prerna/prerna.pdf), it is the second half of the right-hand side I cannot understand - in the first half, most of the terms are clear (e.g. z is the integer charge on the ion for which this is the activity equation), but on the second half I understand nothing. I can suppose that the summation means that these terms will be operated for each ion - that's fine, but what do the terms mean? B(i,j)mj means what? And what quantities would I need to know to calculate it?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Pitzer Equation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
If memory serves me well Bi,j is an experimentally determined coefficient specific for ith and jth ion interaction. mj is the molality of jth ion.

Good luck finding these coefficients. You will need it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Re: Pitzer Equation
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
If memory serves me well Bi,j is an experimentally determined coefficient specific for ith and jth ion interaction. mj is the molality of jth ion.

Good luck finding these coefficients. You will need it.

Ah I see, they are that specific! This explains why we aren't taught this stuff. If Bi,j is determined experimentally for a given couple of ions then there is no point in trying to find a general method applicable to all such cases, so I'll go with the extended Debye-Huckel equation instead for activity effects.

Sponsored Links