April 20, 2024, 03:53:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solving for the Exponent of H2O in a Reaction Quotient Expression  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Violet89

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
When the following equation is balanced using the smallest possible integers, what is the exponent of H2O in the reaction quotient expression?

H2O(l) + SO3(g) <=> H2SO4(aq)

How do I go about solving for what the exponent of H2O is? I know that the equation is already balanced. I don't understand how the exponent is 0 for H2O.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Solving for the Exponent of H2O in a Reaction Quotient Expression
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:49 AM »
Trick is - the exponent is NOT zero. We often do ignore water, but not because the exponent is zero.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Violet89

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:34:03 AM »
Trick is - the exponent is NOT zero. We often do ignore water, but not because the exponent is zero.

Thank you for your reply. I wonder why Blackboard is giving me zero as the correct answer...

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »
As far as I can see the equation is balanced so the coefficient should be 1. Rather than writing "H2O (l)", I have often seen it written as "(aq)". (I think I may have also seen "∞H2O (l)", but I'm not sure if that's even correct - maybe Borek can shed some light.) But the coefficient cannot be 0.

Sponsored Links