April 19, 2024, 01:16:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: New compound?  (Read 8613 times)

Offline Messi

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Re: New compound?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
That molecule is called N,N'-dibenzyl-2,3-dipenthylbutanebis(thioamide) and Scifinder did not find any references about it. So there is a change that it is a new compound if the reaction goes as you hypothesized.

Yes, but it seems so easy to potentially synthesize, that I am unsure if it is even such a big discovery :(

I did it a different way then the alkylation with LDA however.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 06:57:12 AM »

Does this mean I can write a paper on it? Will my supervisor actually be happy? Will I get famous?

If the compound is useful yes and can be 'sold'(marketed academically) as interesting you can perhaps publish it.  Whether your boss is happy and if you get famous depends on what it does or if it illustrates something interesting.

But if the same compound but with a carbon chain one shorter or one longer is known, or differs in a trivial nature from known compounds, then none of the above will happen, unless that trivial change means it cures cancer or something.

But there is always the satisfaction of "nobody ever made this before"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
The synthesis of any novel compound is a big discovery be it made by conventional methods or something new.
What you could now do is start to make similar compounds by the same method. For example make the alkyl chain shorter, put double bonds in the chain, put an aromatic system in there or heterocycles.
See what you can do with the reaction, improve yield, change solvents, temperature etc.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »
I think I might have synthesized a new compound.

How can I search the web to determine if I have actually synthesized a new compound!?

Can you draw the structure? I have access to some databases that I can run it on. I saw two potential structures on your other post. Not sure which one you think you made.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »
Thank you discodermolide. I did a search on scifinder and didn't find any compounds matching mine...

You say synthesising a new compound is indeed a "big thing". Does this mean I can write a paper on it? Will my supervisor actually be happy? Will I get famous?

Not to be a spoil-sport. But how sure are you that you made what you think you made?

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
The synthesis of any novel compound is a big discovery be it made by conventional methods or something new.

I have to disagree with that. 

Say I have something like, nitrotetrazole, and I alkylate it giving the 2-methyl-5-nitrotetrazole, and the 2-ethyl, 2-propyl, 2-butyl, 2 pentyl, 2-hexyl.  Those are then published.  then somebody does the same thing with octyl.  I would have to argue that this is not a big discovery unless this compound had certain properties of interest. 

Or in drug chemistry, when somebody is doing combinatorial chemistry, making hundreds of target drug molecules, only the ones with the desired drug properties are cared about, the remainder fall by the wayside and maybe get a mention in the paper.  It would be hard to argue that those wayside structures are "big discoveries"

Offline Messi

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
Not to be a spoil-sport. But how sure are you that you made what you think you made?

100% sure. It was confirmed by two NMR experts.

My structure is shown below. Thanks for willing to run a test on your database! :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »

100% sure. It was confirmed by two NMR experts.

My structure is shown below. Thanks for willing to run a test on your database! :)

I didn't find it in any of the databases I've access to.

BTW, can you post the NMR? I'm still playing the devil's advocate and exploring the chance your experts made a mistake.  :P Lots of NMR experts on here I think.

Offline Messi

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
Thanks curiouscat!

We ran a DEPT, COSY, and HMBC. They all prove that the dimer was formed :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Thanks curiouscat!

We ran a DEPT, COSY, and HMBC. They all prove that the dimer was formed :)

Good!  :)

Sponsored Links