March 29, 2024, 10:03:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what kind of math is used in advanced topics in chemistry  (Read 5884 times)

Offline avoG

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what kind of math is used in advanced topics in chemistry
« on: October 19, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
I am a first year chemistry student and i am hoping to do a minor in mathematics. I will be taking Calculus(1,2,3) and linear algebra(1,2,3). So i am wondering if i should take abstract algebra(1,2) vs Ordinary differential equations(1,2)? ???

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: what kind of math is used in advanced topics in chemistry
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
Calculus, and then Multivariable Calculus (is that what 3 is in your school) are the most important.  My gut feeling is that Differential Equations is more important for the most advanced physics and chemical problems, but my gut could be completely wrong.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
Calculus, and then Multivariable Calculus (is that what 3 is in your school) are the most important.  My gut feeling is that Differential Equations is more important for the most advanced physics and chemical problems, but my gut could be completely wrong.

As a Chemical Engineer Differential Equations are invaluable. Also for reaction kinetics.

Abstract / Linear Algebra is suitable for Quantum Chemistry (for one).

Offline avoG

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Calculus 3 is multivariable calculus. I am doing a concentration in nanotechnology( honours in chemistry with a concentration in nanotechnology minor in math) i don't know if that makes a difference but i am getting the feeling that differential equations is the way to go. Any more input would be appreciated. :)

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
I am a first year chemistry student and i am hoping to do a minor in mathematics. I will be taking Calculus(1,2,3) and linear algebra(1,2,3). So i am wondering if i should take abstract algebra(1,2) vs Ordinary differential equations(1,2)? ???
In general, abstract algebra is not useful for chemistry.

If you want to do physical chemistry, you'll want through vector calculus, linear algebra and differential equations. If your school offers a mathematical methods for physicists or engineers course, that would be a great option. If you want more courses for your minor, PDEs, probability theory and numerical analysis are super useful. Complex analysis has its uses but an entire semester of it may be over kill.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
I wouldn't that that an abstract algebra class would be unhelpful, since you do deal with complex functions in quantum. I do agree that there are classes to focus on first.

That said, linear algebra is very helpful for understanding and visualizing, atleast at some level, the eigenfunctions problems of quantum. Calc III will give you the tools you'll need for the differential approach to quantum. Diffies will only enhance your mathematical toolset, and a course in PDEs is even better if your school offers it.

Personally I'd love to take a functional analysis course.

More math is never a bad thing in my experience, so if there's a field of math you really enjoy I'd suggest taking courses in it. Math is pretty interrelated, and it's been my experiences that subjects covered in most intro course can be applicable to a wide range of subjects. I know I took a proof based geometry course before going back to school, and it really gave me a whole knew perspective on math.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:25 PM »
I wouldn't that that an abstract algebra class would be unhelpful, since you do deal with complex functions in quantum. I do agree that there are classes to focus on first.

Personally I'd love to take a functional analysis course.
Algebra would not be useful because complex valued functions show up in quantum. The fact that wave functions are complex does not make complex analysis useful. It's useful because it helps to solve integrals (mostly). Algebra is pretty much for pure mathematicians and HEP. The useful aspects of algebra have been abstracted and are taught in inorganic, spectroscopy or even an applied physics course.

Functional analysis is neat.

Offline avoG

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »
I have decided to take the ordinary differential equations 1 and a mathematical methods for physics classes as my final two. Thanks for your help i appreciate it! ;D

Sponsored Links