April 25, 2024, 01:12:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentration from pH?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline BreakingBad20

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Concentration from pH?
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
Equation: CO2 + H2:resonance: H2CO3

Kh = [H2CO3] / [CO2] = 0.0017 @25°C

Example point: pH = 4.4 @ t = 0

[H2CO3] = 10^-(4.4) = 3.98107*10^(-05)

[CO2] = 10^-(4.4) / 0.0017 = 0.023418069

Is this correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Concentration from pH?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
You have posted some random numbers and random operations and you expect us to miraculously guess what you mean?

But the short answer is: it is wrong. No matter what you are doing, this line:

Example point: pH = 4.4 @ t = 0

[H2CO3] = 10^-(4.4) = 3.98107*10^(-05)

makes no sense. Concentration of a weak acid is not equal to concentration of H+.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline dayglo

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »
Henderson-Hasselbach equation? Try that.

Offline BreakingBad20

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
I haven't done chemistry in a while, it's been more chemical engineering than anything else and then all of a sudden we have been getting more chemistry based experiments. Someone had explained that this was the way to do it but I wasn't sure so that's why I posted it. Sorry for the lack of information.
Basically, the experiment is to calculate the rate of absorption of carbon dioxide into water from analysis of liquid solutions flowing down an absorption column. Water is pumped down through the absorption column and carbon dioxide is pumped from the bottom and goes up through the absorption column. The water that is pumped down through the column is collected in a tank that pumps the water back up and into the absorption column. While this is happening a data logger with a probe in the tank is constantly measuring the pH of the water being circulated. The pH is recorded every 30 seconds, hence where I got pH = 4.4 @ t = 0. I need to convert these values of pH using the equation and Kh in the original post.

I'm trying to locate my old textbook where I have notes on this because the general chemistry books in the library are just confusing me. Can you give any tips on how to do this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
Simplest approach that I can think about is to treat carbonic acid as a weak monoprotic acid (it is diprotic, but the second dissociation step is so weak it can be safely ignored here). You will need an equation that combines [H+], Ca (acid concentration) and Ka - just solve it for Ca.

See if this page: http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-weak-acid-base doesn't help.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links