April 28, 2024, 01:42:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility, Ksp, Hydroxyapatite, and general questions.  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Bo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility, Ksp, Hydroxyapatite, and general questions.
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
The question itself is somewhat long, so I'll just post the part that's annoying:

The Ksp of hydroxyapatite, Ca5(PO4)3OH is 6.8e-37. Calculate the solubility of hydroxyapatite in pure water in moles per liter.

What I've been doing so far is doing the standard steps to a solubility problem.

6.8e-37 = [Ca]5[PO4]3[OH]
Skipping a few steps, I get to:
6.8e-37=[5x5][3x3][1e-7] <---------- (OH = 1e-7 as water is the primary producer of OH ions, as the solubility of hydroxyapatite is extremely low.)

I ended up getting x=5.47e-5, which is slightly incorrect. The correct answer is 2.74e-5, which is exactly 1/2 of my answer.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, as well as any tips that could help me along the lines of the conceptual and the problem-solving aspects of Aqueous Equilibria, buffering, titrations, ionic mixtures/salts, solubility, ligands/complex ions, etc. Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Solubility, Ksp, Hydroxyapatite, and general questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:26 AM »
6.8e-37=[5x5][3x3][1e-7]

This is wrong - it should be (5x)5 and so on. But I guess that's what you really did, it is just a typo.

<---------- (OH = 1e-7 as water is the primary producer of OH ions, as the solubility of hydroxyapatite is extremely low.)

Good idea, but you should compare it with your final result. If the calculated solubility is 5.47e-5 M, [OH-] is not 10-7 M.

The correct answer is 2.74e-5, which is exactly 1/2 of my answer.

Random coincidence.

Reality is much more complicated, as PO43- is a strong base that will modify pH of the solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Solubility, Ksp, Hydroxyapatite, and general questions.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
2.74x10-5 cannot be a correct answer since solubility product you used has 2 significant digits. 2.7... is a correct value when neglecting hydrolysis of phosphate anion.
AWK

Sponsored Links