April 27, 2024, 04:53:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In IR spectra, why is the fingerprint region of organic compounds so noisy?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline BulletproofHeart

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I think it's because of of stretching vibrations but I just need clarification on this.

Also what would a "quiet" fingerprint region tell you? I took an IR spectra of a compound I think I made and it was a rather peculiar one. Its fingerprint region is too "quiet". I think I accidentally sequestered the aqueous layer of salt solution in the separating funnel. Solubility tests seem to support this theory. The chemical I isolated is insoluble in ether but not to water.

Offline vex

• Mole Snacks: +13/-0
By "noisy" do you mean that the signal is poor (ratio of peak intensity to background intensity) or that there are many well-defined, measurable peaks (relative to the background, which should be flat) in the same area? The first one is a problem with your sample or your measurement, and the other one is just a consequence of having many similar vibrational energies within the same range. If you look through old spectroscopy papers, you can probably find assignments for each peak. Remember that it's not only stretching modes that show up in the IR, but also bending and deformation modes as well.
University of Michigan Ph. D. Pre-Candidate, Inorganic Chemistry

Do or do not. There is no "try."

Sponsored Links