April 26, 2024, 05:42:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to get H2O out of Benzyl Alcohol?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline johniemi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to get H2O out of Benzyl Alcohol?
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:37 AM »
I have benzyl alcohol but it looks like some water has condensed in the bottle due to humidity and extreme fluctuation in storage temperature.

Any ideas how to get water removed from the benzyl alcohol? Will boiling the solution at water boiling point be ok? What will happen to benzyl alcohol at 100-110 celsius?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: How to get H2O out of Benzyl Alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »
Benzyl alcohol has a BPt. of 205°C and is a stable compound. So why not just distill the water out.
You did not say how much water you have. You could also stir it with anhydrous sodium sulphate then filter, this will remove smallish amounts of water.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: How to get H2O out of Benzyl Alcohol?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
I used to purify methanol using the Magnesium ribbon method. I used to cut up Mg turnings into tiny pieces, treat them with con. HCl repeatedly and then set them to dry in the oven. Then took a flask to reflux the methanol, added the 'activated' Mg pieces, and a tiny amount of I2 and started the reflux. Worked pretty well with MeOH and EtOH. Will this work just fine with BzOH as well?

Of course this was probably preferred with MeOH and EtOH because of the much lower boiling point as against Benzyl alcohol as discodermolide said.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links