April 16, 2024, 12:52:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mono Ammonium Phosphate reaction with plastic  (Read 2995 times)

Offline mikec88

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mono Ammonium Phosphate reaction with plastic
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
Hello, this is my first time posting in the forums.

I recently had a small kitchen fire where the oven range filter went up in flames. I used a mono ammonium phosphate based (along with some type of barium) fire extinguisher to put out the fire. I cleaned up most of the dry chemical residue with a wet towel and soap but I wasn't able to get everything.

There is still some residue up in the range vent and behind the stove on the gas tube going into the oven. The tube is made of some type of plastic and is difficult to reach (which is why I left it uncleaned).

I read that when mono ammonium phosphate mixes with moisture in the air, it becomes acidic and can damage metals and certain electrical components. My main concern is whether or not it is possible that the chemical can turn acidic and eat through the gas tube over time?

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Mono Ammonium Phosphate reaction with plastic
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »
I think the phosphoric acid what will be formed is not strong enough to get major damage. It depends also what kind of metal it is. Copper and stainless steel will not be attacked. But to check the damage after the fire I would get professional help (Plumber, gas company, etc.)

Sponsored Links