May 01, 2024, 04:44:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about physical chemistry. [Hess Law]  (Read 2079 times)

Offline vampiluna

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about physical chemistry. [Hess Law]
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
Ok, so I'm feeling locked regarding this problem at hand. I'm supposed to get the values of alpha, beta and gamma using linear combination. What I really need is to find Delta H for 298 from C2H6. Here's a pic of the problem.

Anybody has an idea on how to get such values? Having alpha, beta and gamma I should be able to find the value of delta, right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:05:16 PM by vampiluna »

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Re: Question about physical chemistry. [Hess Law]
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »
Ok, so I'm feeling locked regarding this problem at hand. I'm supposed to get the values of alpha, beta and gamma using linear combination. What I really need is to find Delta H for 298 from C2H6. Here's a pic of the problem.

Anybody has an idea on how to get such values? Having alpha, beta and gamma I should be able to find the value of delta, right?

You have the enthalpy changes of combustion for all the reactants and products of your desired reaction - that's all you need. Simply take the enthalpy changes of combustion of the reactants, multiplied by their stoichiometric coefficients in the desired reaction, minus the same done for the products, and you will reach the enthalpy change of the desired reaction.

Offline vampiluna

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Question about physical chemistry. [Hess Law]
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
Just as a sidenote, my professor told me I had to use linear combination to get the values. How do I do this? I am familiar with that concept from Linear Algebra, but I have no clue on how to apply it in this case :(

Sponsored Links