April 30, 2024, 03:10:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tandem Mass Spectrometry  (Read 4212 times)

Offline burningdesire

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tandem Mass Spectrometry
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

Identify all y ions in the spectrum and describe what ions they are. What sequence information can you deduce from that?

Please help me. I have no idea how to find the y ions from the spectrum. How should I start?

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Tandem Mass Spectrometry
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Consider the protonated tetrapeptide,

[NH2R1(C=O)NHR2(C=O)NHR3(C=O)NHR4(C=O)OH + H+]+

where R1, R2, R3 and R4 correspond to the residual masses of the aminoacids (AA), i.e., AA mol. weight minus NH2 minus COOH.

Fragmentation of the [Tetrapeptide + H+]+ can give a series of b-ions and a series of y-ions, as below.

b-ions are formed from the N-terminus

b1      NH2R1C=O+
b2      NH2R1C=ONHR2C=O+
b3      NH2R1C=ONHR2C=ONHR3C=O+

The m/z difference between b2 and b1 is then NHR2C=O+, etc..

y-ions are formed from the C-terminus

y1      +NH3R4COOH
y2      +NH3R3CONHR4COOH
y3      +NH3R2CONHR3CONHR4COOH

The m/z difference between y2 and y1 is then R3C=ON+, etc..

NOTES
1. If ALL sequence ions are present, then the polypeptide can be sequenced completely (cannot distinguish Leu/Ile)
2. Sequence ions may also lose small neutrals (e.g.,H2O, NH3, CO) to give an accompanying ion at 18, 17 or 28 lower m/z than the sequence ion

INTERPRETATION

1. Construct, as a reference, a table (Table 1) of the NHRC=O+ values for all 20 common AA's.
2. Assume that m/z 875 is [M+H]+ (NB. it may be a "b" or "y" type ion from a larger peptide !!!)
3. MW 874.5 is consistent with an ≈ 8/9-residue polypeptide.
4. Start at either low or high m/z end of spectrum; construct a table (Table 2) of the m/z difference between adjacent m/z values.
5. Compare the values from Table 2 with those from Table 1.
6. On a copy of the spectrum, pencil in the m/z differences between adjacent signals, and from step 5 annotate on the spectrum the possible AA that is indicated.
7. Assign m/z values as "b" or "y" type ions; e.g., m/z 86 can be either y1 (+NH3R≈8/9COOH) or b1 (NH2R1C=O+).

Good Luck.

Offline MOTOBALL

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Correction,

The m/z difference between y2 and y1 is then R3C=ON+, etc..

should read,

The m/z difference between y2 and y1 is then R3C=ONH+, etc..

Offline burningdesire

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »

b1      NH2R1C=O+
b2      NH2R1C=ONHR2C=O+
b3      NH2R1C=ONHR2C=ONHR3C=O+

Are b ions supposed to have C≡O+ ends instead of C=O+ ends?

Thanks for the help.

Offline burningdesire

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:52:13 AM »

[NH2R1(C=O)NHR2(C=O)NHR3(C=O)NHR4(C=O)OH + H+]+

where R1, R2, R3 and R4 correspond to the residual masses of the aminoacids (AA), i.e., AA mol. weight minus NH2 minus COOH.

INTERPRETATION

1. Construct, as a reference, a table (Table 1) of the NHRC=O+ values for all 20 common AA's.

Are the following right?
NHRC=O+ values = AA molar mass - H - OH = AA molar mass - 18
and residual masses of AA = AA molar mass - NH2 - COOH = AA molar mass - 33
hence NHRC=O+ values = residual masses of AA + 15?

I was given this table

When comparing the values, should I use AA mass, residual masses of AA or NHRC=O+ values?

My table 1 looks like this:

According to the answers, the first amino acid at the C-terminus is lysine - which corresponds to the AA mass (146.11 vs 146.10) but not the residual mass..

Please clarify what's the difference between (1) AA mass, (2) residual mass and (3) NHRC=O+ values and which should I use each of them..

Thanks again.

Offline MOTOBALL

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
Pease ignore my initial, confusing explanation.

Take the peptide,

NH2-Gly-Ala-Val-Leu-COOH

This will give, using the residue masses from your table,

b1   NH2-Gly-CO+                                      m/z 58
b2   NH2-Gly-Val-CO+                                m/z 157
b2   NH2-Gly-Val-Ala-CO+                          m/z 228

and,

y1   +NH3-Leu-COOH                                   m/z 132
y2   +NH3-Ala-Leu-COOH                             m/z 203
y3   +NH3-Val-Ala-Leu-COOH                       m/z 302

If the spectrum is presented as an unknown, i.e.  m/z 58   132     157    203     228     302
the interpretation could be done as follows, and will answer your questions about which masses to use.

Difference (mass residue)        Assignment
   m/z

58                            --------                      b1 (NH2Gly-CO+)

132                           74                            there is no mass residue of 74; therefore cannot be a b2 ion
                                                                   therefore must be y1 (+NH3Leu-COOH)

157                           25                            there is no mass residue of 25 ;but diff. = +99 (Val) from m/z 58
                                                                   therefore is b2 (NH2Gly-Val-CO+)

203                          46                             there is no mass residue of 46; but diff. = +71 from m/z 132
                                                                   therefore must be y2 (+NH3Ala-Leu-COOH)

228                           25                            there is no mass residue of 25 ;but diff. = +71 (Ala) from m/z 157
                                                                   therefore is b3 (NH2Gly-Val-Ala-CO+)

302                          74                             there is no mass residue of 74; but diff. = +99 from m/z 203
                                                                   therefore must be y3 (+NH3Val-Ala-Leu-COOH)

b1, b2, b3 give NH2Gly-Val-Ala

y1, y2, y3 give Val-Ala-Leu-COOH

Together, the two ion series give the full sequence.  Use the mass residue values given in your table to interpret your spectrum.

Sponsored Links