April 28, 2024, 01:57:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Separating of formaldehyde and methyl isopropyl ketone  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Steenrod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Separating of formaldehyde and methyl isopropyl ketone
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »
I have never really dealt with formaldehyde and when I saw the question asking me to separate formaldehyde and methyl  isopropyl ketone, I was confused.

How do we go about it?Thanks!
I am horrible at chemistry.I am always liable to fail my chemistry exams.So, sorry for stupid questions.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Separating of formaldehyde and methyl isopropyl ketone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
think about the physical properties of the two compounds, think about their chemical properties as well. What are the differences?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:24:06 AM »
Why not just keep them in a pot. A 100°C BP difference with one a Gas at RT and another a Liq..

What   am I missing? Do they form an azeotrope? Is one highly soluble in the other?

Offline Steenrod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
Sorry, but I have no knowledge of properties of formaldehyde(physical or chemical).

Can you please post the answer?The exam is 4 days away.Sorry for being persuasive but I have 5 other subjects to study.
I am horrible at chemistry.I am always liable to fail my chemistry exams.So, sorry for stupid questions.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
Sorry, but I have no knowledge of properties of formaldehyde(physical or chemical).

Can you please post the answer?The exam is 4 days away.Sorry for being persuasive but I have 5 other subjects to study.

It'd be quicker to google both those names in the time it took you to type this out.  ::) These aren't even obscure compounds. There's literally hundreds of hits on the web about them.

I feel bad for someone as knowledgeable as @ discodermolide to waste his time having to literally type out an obvious Wikipedia link that should be an obvious place to look for data.

Besides aren't you violating Forum Rules by asking for a ready answer without showing your work?

It seems like a pattern; I've noticed other posts by you that are very similar. Where are the Mods when we need them?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
You should be willing to look up things like melting points, boiling points, and chemical structures on your own and propose something of an answer.  For example, www.chemexper.com is one good site; there are doubtless many others.  If not, you aren't following the rules of the forum.

Offline zhangcarlin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
how about dissolving your crude material in ethyl ether and wash it with Sat. NaCl tree times? because formaldehyde is highly soluable in water.

Sponsored Links