April 19, 2024, 01:13:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Indigenous compounds causing Dissociative effects.  (Read 5594 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Indigenous compounds causing Dissociative effects.
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
Does anybody know of any compounds that are indingenous in the body that cause a dissociative type effect? Or which neurotransmitters are primarily involved in this feeling?

By this I don't mean the biological function and obviously not the chemical funtion. I mean the feeling that your disconnected.

Also if you know it can you tell me what area of the brain the majority of the receptors are for these neurotransmitters or the chemical.

Does anyone know of any good books on the workings of the human brain that iseasy to understand but not like an easy overall book?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 09:26:40 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Indigenous compounds causing Dissociative effects.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:28:26 PM »
It is primarily drugs which act as an antagonist at glutamate modulated NMDA receptors that act as dissociatives, good examples would be phencyclidine, rollicyclidine, eticyclidine etc., ketamine, dextromethorphan (never had any effects with DXM myself) and MK-801.

In my experience, strong kappa opioid agonists can have very dissociative feelings/effects also, but its mainly NMDA ligands that have definitive effects as dissociatives.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Indigenous compounds causing Dissociative effects.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
Thank you Limpet Chicken.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links