April 25, 2024, 06:04:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Building my resume?  (Read 4526 times)

Offline EpicWinston

• Mole Snacks: +3/-6
Building my resume?
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:30:13 AM »
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in chemistry and I am trying to build my resume. I did some research over the summer, but I hated it. Although I do not like research, I like writing and presenting my findings. With that being said I was wondering if anyone knows a science magazine that would allow me to publish my writing.

I am currently writing for a social media magazine, which is extremely fun, but it doesn't look appealing for grad/med school. I Just sent emails to a few editors who manages science articles for kids. I don't mind starting off small. I just need to get my foot in the door and develop a sound presence as a writer/scientist.

Does anyone write for a magazine? Know of any magazines that readily hires freelancers?
Any advise for building my resume?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Building my resume?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
What would you like to do with your degree? If you enjoy writing enough to make it a profession, you are going to need a portfolio more than a resume. Start writing. Blogs are a good way to make you focus and write every day, and when you need them, you'll have plenty of writing samples to pull from. Or you can pick current scientific issues out of the news and write free-lance articles for your school or local newspapers. There are also schools that have programs in Scientific Communications, which might be a better major for you than chemistry if that is the direction you want to go.

Best of luck!

Offline EpicWinston

• Mole Snacks: +3/-6
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
Thank you so much fledarmus. I want to go to medical school with my degree. I do not want to change my major to Scientific Communications- thanks for the advise though. 
Although I enjoy writing, I don't want to write as a profession. My passion for writing is driven by my desire for experience, presence, and just writing. Again, thank you so much for the advice I will start a blog today and I will contact several local news papers.

Offline sagar

• Mole Snacks: +1/-7
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
Thank you so much fledarmus. I want to go to medical school with my degree. I do not want to change my major to Scientific Communications- thanks for the advise though. 
Although I enjoy writing, I don't want to write as a profession. My passion for writing is driven by my desire for experience, presence, and just writing. Again, thank you so much for the advice I will start a blog today and I will contact several local news papers.

Hello,
You like writing and you don't want to do profession in it. Then let me tell you my friend you are not clear with your career. Once you decide what way you have to go then tell me...

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
Oh no, don't discourage him Sagar! We could use more doctors that can write! Just because he doesn't want to do it as a profession doesn't mean that it can't be an incredibly effective skill for advancing him in whatever profession he chooses.

If nothing else, you can always amuse yourself in your off-time writing screenplays for "House" or good science fiction. All that copious free time you'll have after spending 80 hours a week in the hospital  ;)

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
Oh no, don't discourage him Sagar! We could use more doctors that can write! Just because he doesn't want to do it as a profession doesn't mean that it can't be an incredibly effective skill for advancing him in whatever profession he chooses.

If nothing else, you can always amuse yourself in your off-time writing screenplays for "House" or good science fiction. All that copious free time you'll have after spending 80 hours a week in the hospital  ;)

Medical school will drive that out of him in "unintelligible handwriting 101" during his first year.  ;D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links