April 29, 2024, 06:51:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Urgent help with identifying a structures IR Spectrum - Thansgiving Special :D  (Read 11534 times)

Offline theanonymous

• Mole Snacks: +1/-14

For the first structure, what would its IR Spectrum be? I don't get how you can just identify it based on looking at these graphs. *delete me*

Options:

Offline theanonymous

The first structure (with the 2 CH3 groups) has to be B or C, according to this website: http://chemistry.tutorvista.com/organic-chemistry/ir-spectroscopy.html

Am I right?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
It is probably easiest to use your shift table to assign the carbonyl compounds first, as the carbonyl region is easier to deal with.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
By themselves, I would find this difficult. However, since this is a matching problem, then it becomes easier. I would start with any of the functional groups based upon their stretching frequency and patterns, OH, NH, COOH, C≡CH, C=O. You can eliminate spectra from the possibles and limit the choices. Several of the spectra are distinctive and match their functional group characteristics. For example, I think I looks like a carboxylic acid. What does A look like or what compounds can be eliminated from A? We may need some discussion for F, G, and H.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline theanonymous

By themselves, I would find this difficult. However, since this is a matching problem, then it becomes easier. I would start with any of the functional groups based upon their stretching frequency and patterns, OH, NH, COOH, C≡CH, C=O. You can eliminate spectra from the possibles and limit the choices. Several of the spectra are distinctive and match their functional group characteristics. For example, I think I looks like a carboxylic acid. What does A look like or what compounds can be eliminated from A? We may need some discussion for F, G, and H.

So Structur 8 would be I, right?

For Diagram A,

This is what I did:

1) Locate the longest stretches/bands

3200-3400 (far left)
2800-3000 (left)

1480-1500 (right)
1000-1100 (far right)

2) Look at Typical Infrared Absorption Frequencies Chart

3200-3400 (far left) - Alcohols/Strong/O-H stretch/Single bonded
2800-3000 (left) - Aldehyde & ketons/C-H stretch/Single bonded

1480-1500 (right) - ?
1000-1100 (far right) - ?

Is Diagram A the 4th compound in the first column??

Offline theanonymous

I also used this diagram as a guideline:

Offline theanonymous

It is probably easiest to use your shift table to assign the carbonyl compounds first, as the carbonyl region is easier to deal with.

Diagrams F, G, H, and I have carbonyls (C=O)

Offline theanonymous

Just to make things easier...

Offline theanonymous

Diagram H  has to be Compound 6, 7, 8, or 9 knowing that there is a Carbonyl around 1700.

Can't be Compound 8 since the spectra doesn't have an alcohol stretch. So it has to be Compound 6, 7, or 9

Ok so I'm kind of stuck now.

Offline theanonymous

Diagram I has an alcohol (O-H) and a carbonyl (C=O).
The only compound it can be is compound 8

Offline theanonymous

Diagram H - strong, sharp stretch at 1750 means it is an ester. So  diagram H is compound 9

Offline theanonymous

Help with identifying the spectras to these 3 compounds??
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »

This is what I did so far...I just don't know about 1, 2, and 6.

This is how I figured out the others:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:42:29 PM by theanonymous »

Offline Lafleche

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Look at diagram F and G.  They both have a carbonyl group.  You've already assigned the ester and the carboxylic acid to diagram H and I, so you can rule those out.  Now you have an aldehyde and a ketone to assign.  They both look very similar in their IR but the aldehyde will have 2 extra peak around 2750 and 2850 from the H-C=O stretching.  Usually you'll see the band at 2750 better because its not in the C-H sp3 stretching region.  You can see that band in spectra F so that would be your aldehyde.  Spectra G has to be your ketone.

This mean that Diagram G can't be the alkyne you initially assigned it too.  Alkyne's will show C-H stretching at very high wavenumber because they have an Sp1 hydrogen.  I would assign it to E.

You now only have to assign spectrum C and D.  You should be able to figure it out (hint: an alkene show C=C stretching around 1600 and C=C bending in the region of 900 (I'm sorry I forget the exact number here, but since its mono-sub you'll see two bands) and the alkane will have a very simple spectra)

Offline theanonymous

Look at diagram F and G.  They both have a carbonyl group.  You've already assigned the ester and the carboxylic acid to diagram H and I, so you can rule those out.  Now you have an aldehyde and a ketone to assign.  They both look very similar in their IR but the aldehyde will have 2 extra peak around 2750 and 2850 from the H-C=O stretching.  Usually you'll see the band at 2750 better because its not in the C-H sp3 stretching region.  You can see that band in spectra F so that would be your aldehyde.  Spectra G has to be your ketone.

This mean that Diagram G can't be the alkyne you initially assigned it too.  Alkyne's will show C-H stretching at very high wavenumber because they have an Sp1 hydrogen.  I would assign it to E.

Wait I'm confused...

What number would you assign Diagram F, E, and G to?

Offline theanonymous

So....
You're saying that F and G look very similar because they both have a carbonyl group (C=O) around 1700.
The aldehyde will be the one with 2 extra peaks around 2750 and 2850
Therefore,
F is the aldehyde, and G is the keytone.

So Compound 6 is Diagram F.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:21:00 PM by theanonymous »

Sponsored Links