April 27, 2024, 04:20:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodymanics of transport  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Iamyourfather

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thermodymanics of transport
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
Can you read the context and the last question (d) along with my answer. Does my answer look ok?

Question:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/85189286@N06/8192442850/in/photostream/lightbox/

d) Molecules move through cells through protein ion channels between each cell. Rather than a ‘fish trap’ gap junction, the gap junction will have pores that are parallel in size. In order to increase entropy dye molecules will be injected into the astrocyte and will move through the neurone from a high concentration (point of injection) of dye molecules to a low concentration (end of neurone) in one direction. A chemical signal is propagated without decrement. This does not violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics, because the energy for the conduction comes from within (not from the stimulus). As the experiment undergoes exocytosis, the system will eventually reach stability. The equilibrium state of a system (i.e., the most stable accessible state) is the one that maximizes the entropy of the system (subject to any constraints placed on the system).

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Re: Thermodymanics of transport
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
Gap junctions are outside of my sphere of knowledge, so let me ask you a question.  Can they participate in active transport?

Offline Iamyourfather

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Thermodymanics of transport
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
Gap junctions are outside of my sphere of knowledge, so let me ask you a question.  Can they participate in active transport?

No they cannot.

Sponsored Links