April 30, 2024, 06:24:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question for an expert  (Read 1759 times)

Offline chehemi123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
A question for an expert
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
Heya,
 my question is:

3 spoonful potassium chloride, 3 spoonful lithium chloride, 1/4 spoonful calcium sulfide and 1 spoonful sulfur are put together. This mixture is smelted.
The colour is blue. By cooling down the mixture looses its colour--> white.
the question is: which particle is responsible for the colour? And why does it disappear by cooling down?

I thougt of S3- ...but I am not quite sure if I am right and how this particle is formed. Why does the colour disappear?

i hope you can help me.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: A question for an expert
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
Hmmm ... tricky.  There are some problems with this question, and I think we should start with them, before we try to understand the colors of particles, which is a very tricky subject

Heya,
 my question is:

3 spoonful potassium chloride, 3 spoonful lithium chloride, 1/4 spoonful calcium sulfide and 1 spoonful sulfur are put together.

OK, I don't like this question right away.  that's not how chemists measure things.  Bakers maybe, but not chemists.  I do remember seeing measurements like this, but only when I was a kid, and using my chemistry set.  We got "Wow Gee Wiz" type experiments all the time, and we didn't always get a through explanation.

This mixture is smelted.

Hmm... usually 'smelted' is reserved for the reduction of metallic ores, not chemicals.  OK, call it 'melted.'  Fine.  But this is not an series of aqueous reactions.  This is a little tougher for the average chemist.

The colour is blue. By cooling down the mixture looses its colour--> white.
the question is: which particle is responsible for the colour? And why does it disappear by cooling down?

When is it blue?  Blue in the fire?  Gives the fire a blue color?  Melts to a blue color?  Cools to a whoite color?  It would help if this part is explained better.

I thougt of S3- ...but I am not quite sure if I am right and how this particle is formed. Why does the colour disappear?

Now this is some good work on your part.  Yes, I had heard of a finely dispersed suspension of sulfur particles in water as having a blue tint.  Dunno how it works in the melt, however.

i hope you can help me.

Something good may happen.  But there's a lot of weird in your question.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline chehemi123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Re: A question for an expert
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
thanks for your effort.
i am sorry about the phrases...

now about the color:
i am not quite sure about the fire...the task only says that the mixture melts to a blue colored mixture. And it cools to a white color.

do you know what a lewis structure of S3- would look like?  ???

cheers!

Sponsored Links