April 30, 2024, 09:03:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hints to a Pd/C Hydrogenation?  (Read 15375 times)

Offline BobfromNC

• Mole Snacks: +14/-1
Re: Hints to a Pd/C Hydrogenation?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
Part of how you do this depends on scale and what apparatus you are using.   If you have mgs to a gram, you could do the entire reaction in small RBF using a ballon of H2 as the source of H2.  If you are doing more than that, you might want to use a Parr type shaker or other similar apparatus.  I would always have someone help me the first time on any system.   

I also recommend EtOH rather than MeOH, it does not catch fire as easily (seen a few myself) and is safer in several ways.   You can always add EtOAc as well for many cases.   Most people use 10% Pd/Carbon, safer than 20%, and use the wet stuff.   

Lastly, I do use Celite sometimes, but for SMALL scales, once you have purged the reaction well with N2, I like to suck the reaction up into a plastic syringe (trying to leave most of the catalyst) and then filter through a small 0.45 micron syringe filter (Like a Gelman PTFE or similar one), which removes ALL of the carbon.   Then I add another shot of EtOH to the reaction with a clean syringe and then suck it up in to the used syringe and wash the syring and filter with that.   For small scales, I find that I lose less material than on Celite, and the material is not exposed much to air, if I do it properly, which is ideal for my substrate.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
Another reason to avoid methanol is traces of formaldehyde in old bottles - you can end up methylating amines in your substrate by reductive amination. I used to work in alkoloid synthesis and always used ethanol, water or aqueous dioxane as the solvent.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
On scale (>50kg substrate) we had a problem with methanol, Exactly, it started to produce formaldehyde and then CO2 which poisoned the catalyst. We never saw this on a lab scale and funny plant results, lower yield, more catalyst required, longer reaction time etc.  led us to this side reaction after some weeks of experimentation.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links