March 28, 2024, 02:45:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: You know you're a Chemist when...  (Read 85255 times)

Offline complex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: You know you're a Chemist when...
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
similar to chmlover in some ways...

...you make a bonding theory for people using chemical bond types (just did this yesterday).  (ie the people who are friends, different personalities, are hydrogen bonding; ionic bonds are those lovers with opposite personalities; covalent bonds are the more partner-like couples or friends; etc :P I went off to polar and polar covalent too...)

...you see something and you can make a chemistry-related joke about it.

...you think the most hilarious question to ask a person is what their bonding type is because it sounds like such a come on or else it's the most hilarious pick-up line you've ever heard (well, you know the other chemistry ones, they're quite amusing too ;) )

...you've told someone that you've wondered what a molecule's perspective would be and someone looks at you like o.O  Really...wouldn't a molecule consider the human body the universe just as we consider the universe the universe? If it could be conscious?

...your sense of humor goes *downhill* as you progress.

Offline AccordionGirl

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I like music and science.
    • Muuuuusic
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
One of my good friends is an artist, and she always has paint on her clothes. Spying a bluish stain on my shirt, she asks, "been painting?" "Nope," I say, "copper chloride."

But, I think the day I really realized I was a Chemnerd was when a cosmetics saleswoman came to our door. She whips out a ph chart and says "did you know, your face has a ph of 6, but most makeup has a ph of 8?" My response was "NO WAY! It's like a great big eyeshadowy titration on my face!"
She was confused.
"Don't worry; your bagel will never turn into nitric acid and kill you." -Roald Hoffman

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »
....you drink in a beaker
....you use a stirring rod as a chop stick
....you use H2O to term water
....your dog name is sodium hydroxide
....you wake up wearing a lab gown
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline lunar eclipse

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
You have a structure of a chemical compound tattooed on yourself.  (Yes, I know somebody personally who had the chemical structure of caffeine tattooed on himself)

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
. you watch the anime Full Metal Alchemist just for the references to chemistry ;D

I used to do that :P

Offline Fzang

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
...you can't help but wonder why people moan about a couple of moles in their gardens, when you have a billion gazillion moles in your own.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 03:55:15 AM »
When your degree says it?  hmm, that was not very funny was it...oops...

Offline Alexia Ashford

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
When you buy a T-shirt with the periodic table on it...    :-X 

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
When you get a half chub when you realize your compound is 84% nitrogen.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 04:52:57 AM »
...while reading other people's posts, you were like "O.o.. OMG!! That's so true!!! I do that all the time!!!!!" :P
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

LAmanda

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
... when you can fully understand the chemistry jokes...  :)

Q: What is the chemical formula for the molecules in candy?
A: Carbon-Holmium-Cobalt-Lanthanum-Tellurium or CHoCoLaTe

Offline zaphraud

• Mole Snacks: +2/-10
  • Microwave Chemist
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
... you wonder why nobody realized Walter White in Breaking Bad was obviously bullshitting/obfuscating when he was discussing the chiral properties of different carbon positions - but in decongestants - in Season 4 Episode 1 - when they've been using a P2P/methylamine based synthesis ever since before season 2 started - and obviously still are, considering all the acetic acid around, not to mention the aluminum foil.

oh nevermind, a quick google check reveals that a week later, I'm not the only one that noticed this after all: http://weakinteractions.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/the-science-of-breaking-bad-box-cutter/#more-1725   LOL

Offline Benzenelover

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
When you spend hours in the cleaning supply aisle of your local walmart, reading the backs of cleaning chemicals, and understanding each and every ingredient.

When you compare people you know to elements

When you see Benzene in every hexagon structure with a picture in the center.

When you join a chemistry forum
I've been studying chemistry for a few months online. I'm here to learn new things, and share what I've already learned.

Offline ActivationEnergy

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
when you complain about tv shows/ films because of incorrect chemistry

when can think 'theres so many homos in science' without refering to homosexuality

Offline curt1124

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
I Googled Sugar Day (which I didn't find ANY hits about) and came across this Chemistry forum. It occurred to me yesterday that I had missed a date which could have been called Sugar Day -- December 22, 2011 -- for Sucrose which is CHO 12 22 11. I wondered why it hadn't occurred to any one else especially since it'll never happen again.

I am a semi retired truck driver but was, years ago, a Chemistry major at Penn State and worked for a time in a lab for a company specializing in veterinary pharmaceuticals. I've never lost my interest in the Sciences and am frequently amused or appalled at how much is not understood by so many. For instance, I cringe whenever I hear people talk about Oxygen exploding. How can it explode? It doesn't burn!

And then there's the "Electron Energized Negatively Charged Water" that's an expensive panacea for everything that ails you. They're getting away with advertising this new "Snake Oil."

Sponsored Links