March 28, 2024, 04:30:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: You know you're a Chemist when...  (Read 85257 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: You know you're a Chemist when...
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »
I love this thread. I was happily reading my organic chemistry notes during the boring heat transfer lecture last year.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 10:37:42 PM »
...if you look at the world as i do and as i have posted in my sig...
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 11:08:24 AM »
The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

Vey nice!
I think I'd be in a g-orbital!
(But the electrons require the nucleus to hold the electrons in orbit otherwise we'd all fly off- imagine where we would be without the nucleus!)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 01:40:23 PM »
I would compare myself to astatine, hehe, quite volatile, (although unlike At, not smelly), very active, somwaht dark (my sense of humor) and likely to be short lived, due to my ahem..accident prone-ness in the lab ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 07:09:45 PM »

Vey nice!
I think I'd be in a g-orbital!
(But the electrons require the nucleus to hold the electrons in orbit otherwise we'd all fly off- imagine where we would be without the nucleus!)

thusly we need society in a little part. the people that lock themselves in their basement and never see light of day or other people would be those free floating electrons
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »
...you stare at a beehive-like hexagonal pavement and name all the fused benzene ring compounds (except corannulene) in your head.

Offline FeLiXe

• Theoretical Biochemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-7
  • Excited?
    • Chemical Quantum Images
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 04:02:59 AM »
... you hear that someone had a bicycle crash and you think that he couldn't handle working with Naphthalene

(I came up with that one because I was kind of bored riding my bike home yesterday)
Math and alcohol don't mix, so... please, don't drink and derive!

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
... when you have problems writing GRE general test issue task essays about art - ewwwww.

If I have to work through any more reading comprehension about the amercian civil war, I gonna explode...
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:You know your a Chemis when...
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 06:38:32 PM »

...you outsmart your chemistry teachers

That one is me this year.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Playerbeta

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »
...You try to think of the atomic models whenever you see some new stuff
...You say chemical formula instead of the name of a substance, for instance water, H2O
::Edited: Just Because~Mitch::
...You can answer all questions in this forum, lol
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:24:45 AM by Mitch »

Offline dfx-

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
  • I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 07:54:10 PM »
....When you read an aerosol disinfectant's ingredients, you understand the ingredients, you can pronounce the ingredients, and you know the structures of the ingredients.

..and when you're asked to pronounce them, why they use them and to summarise only the important ones by other people.

And you can.
BSc(Hons) in Forensic and Environmental Analysis

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 02:42:22 PM »
During a boring dinner at the restaurant, you stare at the bottle of water and begin to wonder how you would separate all those ions.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 07:38:58 PM »
When a friend offers you a glass of amaretto after dinner, you have a sip and say "Ahh, Benzaldehyde..."

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 07:02:37 AM »
When a friend offers you a glass of amaretto after dinner, you have a sip and say "Ahh, Benzaldehyde..."
Of refer drinking any alcoholic drink as a hydroxyl group analysis.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline ladygnat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 04:12:49 PM »
...you look at a hexagonal-shaped cookie and think of cyclohexane, not a hexagon.  (happened to me today....took me a bit to think of hexagonal rather than cyclohexane-like)
...you look up the structures of the medicine you take and it reminds you very strongly of what you're doing in class now...
...I and Me can be iodine and methyl when read...
...OH is a hydroxy group, not Ohio (and I even live in Ohio)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:51:22 PM by ladygnat »

Sponsored Links