April 28, 2024, 11:06:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Emisson of Energy by an atom be quantized?  (Read 7880 times)

natalie_2006

Emisson of Energy by an atom be quantized?
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »
Hi
I'm confused with this question:
What experimental evidence requires that the emission of energy by an atom be quantized?

I know quantize means to split or sub divide energy.  Would experiments using light, and showing how the light can be spilt by seeing the various colours?

Thanks
Natalie  ???

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Emisson of Energy by an atom be quantized?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
Quantize doesn't mean that.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
Quantise means to limit the possible values of (a magnitude or quantity) to a discrete set of values by quantum mechanical rules. This means the value of the energy of emission is not a continuous function.

An example of a quantized function is sin(x) - 1 = 0. x can only take up odd multiples of Pi/2. the range for the value of x is not continous. Hence, we can say that x is quantised.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 08:40:17 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

natalie_2006

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:21:53 AM »
ok... but it's a chemistry question that was on a test and I just didn't know how to answer it... can you help me to answer it?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:38:29 PM »
the lines in the absorption spectra of elements correspond to the energy differences between the energy levels of the atomic orbitals. these lines serve as experimental evidence that the energy of each atomic orbital is quantised. therefore, when an electron in an atomic orbital demote to an orbital of lower energy level, the energy emitted must correspond to the energy difference between the former and the new atomic orbital. this means the energy of atomic emission must be quantised.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

natalie_2006

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
Thanks so much.... I really had no clue, as stupid as that makes me sound..

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:25:08 PM »
you must first understand the concept of being quantised.

imagine there are 5 poles apart.

the distance between the 1st and 2nd pole is 2m.

the distance between the 1st and 3rd pole is 3m.

the distance between the 1st and 4th pole is 4m.

the distance between the 1st and 5th pole is 5m.

imagine u are a runner. you can only run from one pole to another. imagine you start at the first pole. this means you can only run to 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th pole. this means the distance u run must be 2m, 3m, 4m or 5m. The distance you run is not a continuous, eg. you cannot run 2.53m
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:26:59 PM by geodome »

natalie_2006

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 07:52:20 PM »
So basically the question is asking why is it important to have the values for the energy released from atoms?  like what has it allowed us to find...  so it's able to find out about wavelengths; such as their length and amplitude

and does it have to do with the electromagnetic field?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
So basically the question is asking why is it important to have the values for the energy released from atoms?  like what has it allowed us to find...  so it's able to find out about wavelengths; such as their length and amplitude

This I agree, but I can't comment on the part on electromagnetic fields. Let's hope someone can answer you on that.

Sponsored Links