March 28, 2024, 08:23:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problems with Electrolysis of Iron.  (Read 4123 times)

Offline zilalti

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
Problems with Electrolysis of Iron.
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »
I'm currently trying to obtain iron oxide (Fe2o3) by electrolysis of iron in a NaCl solution, but i'm slightly skeptical on what ive actually obtained.

Heres how I'm doing it....

First of all I connected a 9v battery to crocadile clips and placed them in the solution and identified the cathode as it was bubbling a great deal more than the other. To this I attached a carbon rod and to the other an iron nail.

I left this for a few hours and when I looked at it a minute ago there was a viscous dark brown/green precipitate floating on top. At the bottom and covering the nail, a layer of black precipitate has formed. I would imagine that the bottom layer is due to the decomposition of the carbon rod but I havn't a clue what the top layer is?
Is it possible that I have formed the other oxide of iron, magnetite or could it be a mix of iron oxide and carbon, maybe copper?

Any one know whats going on?

Also I thought i'd experiment by with heating the iron with bleach which has been relatively effective, but I was wondering, apart from iron oxide what is the other product of the redox reaction?

Help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links