April 27, 2024, 12:02:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Lab techniques, choose the appropriate purification technique  (Read 1469 times)

Offline rsh28

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Choose the correct technique(s) for each of the following cases (some cases may need more than one techinique, and some cases may have different possibilities). These are the techiniques I am talking about: recrystallization, simple distillation, fractional distillation, extraction, sublimation, gravity filtration, suction filtration, chromatography

1-) I have a sample of benzoic acid which looks like white crystals, by accident I mixed it with sodium chloride (table salt) since this one also looks like white crystals. Suggest THE EASIEST PATHWAY to recover sodium chloride and benzoic acid as two seperate solids from the mixture I got. Remember: in experiment 2 we proved water to be the best recrystallizing solvent for benzoic acid.

2-) I have an organic compound which looks like green crystals, by accident when I was washing my glassware I contaminated it with pink washing detergent, how can I remove the contamination?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Organic Lab techniques, choose the appropriate purification technique
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
1) if you add water, what happens? You can calculate how much of each per mL of water. How might you remove benzoin acid from water, but no NaCl?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links