April 26, 2024, 08:45:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Like chemistry but have ADHD. Tips appreciated.  (Read 3038 times)

Offline thecoconut

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Like chemistry but have ADHD. Tips appreciated.
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
So I`ve got a mild case of ADHD and I have problems concentrating on tasks that involve a lot of reading, which organic chemistry does not lack. However, I find the subject extremely fascinating and interesting. I started reading this one book by some D.Klein guy and didnt bother anymore when reaching page 200.
The problem for me is not the motivation it`s just that I am bored to death writing resonance structures, move this H plus ion, here and there, stabilizing negative charges. Finding the most nucleophilic atom in a molecule. I can barely keep focus sometimes. I am self studying so school is no problem to me at this point. I am doing this along side school.

I have not given up, if this is what it takes I will push harder, but I wondered if anybody had some multi sensory learning strategies, websites related to organic chemitry.
Thanks

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Like chemistry but have ADHD. Tips appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
I learnt Org chem. in my biochem course using this method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keller_Plan in the predigital age. I would imagine it would be really good now. It breks work down into smaller sections with frequent self testing.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
Re: Like chemistry but have ADHD. Tips appreciated.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
Are you bored to death drawing resonance structures because you find it easy, or simply because you don't like it? A significant part of organic chemistry is drawing loads of lewis structures, as well as mechanisms where you will, frankly, be moving H plus ions quite a bit. It gets more interesting when you are combining all these things together but if you can't stand the fundamentals it's hard to imagine you liking that stuff.

What is it about organic chemistry that you find enjoyable? If you can articulate this then people will be better able to help you.

Sponsored Links