April 26, 2024, 12:03:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Environmetal Impact of waste batteries  (Read 5298 times)

Ron

Environmetal Impact of waste batteries
« on: June 12, 2005, 02:15:15 PM »
*delete me* what are the impacts on the environment and health of waste batteries(any type of batteries) ?? what are the impacts of incineration of waste batteries as well?
anyone has sources to get information regarding the following questions? *delete me*  :)

savoy7

Re:Environmetal Impact of waste batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »
John Sandell with the Chem Engineering Dept of Mich Tech did some work on this.  He found that lead was a prior concern when incinerating.  I can't remember exactly what they found out, but maybe do a search on Sandell, incinerating batteries and lead.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:05:51 PM »
hey Thank You Very Much For Your Reply !!!!!!!! ;D

Jessica

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
heavy metal toxins are the only real concern here, such as the lead and Nickel and cadmium used on rechargables, other than that there`s no real issue, in fact Zinc/Carbon or even Alkaline batts are (when "rotted" down" actualy beneficial to plant life.
giving Zinc, Manganesse, nitrogen, chlorides, potassium and iron back to the soil.
a plant cannot live without any one of these elements either in trace or Macro nutrient form  ;)

icepolo23

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »
The Alkaline batteries contain concentrated KOH, which as you probably know is caustic. I wouldn´t be so sure about concentrated KOH being so good for plants. Plants like any other living organism are very sensible to changes in the environment. KOH would definitely cause an increase of soil PH, this can cause that ions such as iron or zinc to be less avialable to the plant.  

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:09:31 PM »
I would think, though, that the amount of KOH in a battery, when dispersed/diluted by all the other garbage, would be insignificant.

Sponsored Links